PDA

View Full Version : Wire Wheel Balancing 'Adapters".

Bob McElwee
01-11-2002, 09:22 PM
I've heard special 'adapters' are needed to balance wire wheels on most balancing machines found in tire stores. Although I haven't had any problems, does anyone know if the 'adapters' for wire wheel balancing can be purchased from anyone? Can they be made from old hubs and/or knockoffs?

aeronca65t
01-16-2002, 09:24 AM
Been trying answer your question by "trying" a wire wheel on my balancer. Haven't been able to get a hold of one. But here's what I think...I have a small static balancer (purchased via web catalog from Northern Equiptment..used to be "Northern Hydraulics). Cost was only about $60. This balancer looks like it would work on wire wheels with no adapter needed (based on looking at pictures). My recollection on spin balancers (from 20 years ago when I was a high school auto shop teacher...and had a wire-wheel MGA) is that wire wheels fit on using the ordinary adapters that came with the equiptment.

koolkat
02-11-2002, 02:56 AM
Regarding wire wheels and getting them balanced. I have in the past used several Tire shops in Phoenix and if you ask the right questions about dynamic balancing and if their equipment / adapters will work. Good technicians know their equipment and I've found them to be honest and have not run into any problems with dynamic balancing. I would say to ask if they have done this before and know what they are doing and go for it.
KoolKat in Phoenix