PDA

View Full Version : Color Tune

Basil
01-07-2001, 11:22 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used the color tune to set the mixture. If so, how well does it work? Been thinking about getting one of these, but would like to hear some feedback.

Cy

Jagdreamer
02-12-2001, 04:17 AM
I've never used one but have heard mixed reviews from people who have. I just go by what my spark plugs look like to tell if my car is running too ricj or too lean. Not 100 percent perfect method, but you can get pretty close that way.

Caretaker
02-25-2001, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Basil:
I was wondering if anyone has used the color tune to set the mixture. If so, how well does it work? Been thinking about getting one of these, but would like to hear some feedback.

Cy

If you can get the area you're working in dark enough to see the flame colour ok, then they are brilliant, I've used them since the easrly 70's
Dave

Basil
02-25-2001, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Caretaker:
If you can get the area you're working in dark enough to see the flame colour ok, then they are brilliant, I've used them since the easrly 70's
Dave

Thanks caretaker. I actually emailed the colortune people twice now asking about price/shipping to the states, but so far no answer. I think I'd like to try the colortune on my Jag since it has tripple carbs.

Basil (Cy)

Crash
03-23-2001, 05:16 PM
The Colortune is a waste of money unless you are running a single carb set-up. By the time you get to where you can read it, it will foul out. Anyway I have one and it looks cool in the tool box, now if I could only find a use for it, because it sure doesn't help in setting the mixture on a twin carb spridget. Ranks right up there with the little blue pouch of SU tuning tools that sits next to it in the tool box.
Crash

Basil
03-23-2001, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Crash:
The Colortune is a waste of money unless you are running a single carb set-up. By the time you get to where you can read it, it will foul out. Anyway I have one and it looks cool in the tool box, now if I could only find a use for it, because it sure doesn't help in setting the mixture on a twin carb spridget. Ranks right up there with the little blue pouch of SU tuning tools that sits next to it in the tool box.
Crash

Well, I have a tripple carb set up on my E Type. It sounds good in theory. I wish someone around here had one that I could at least see for myself.

Basil

totrod
04-23-2001, 01:00 PM
I have used the Colortune several times and I was very pleased with the results when I used it on my 67 Spitfire. I do recommend however that you have a second person available to make the adjustments on the carbs while you are watching the flame in the combustion chamber. Its to difficult to do both. To see how effective I could tune the mixture without the Colortune I tried to do it by sound and compare the two results but the Colortune was so much more effective and efficient.

Basil
04-23-2001, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by totrod:
I have used the Colortune several times and I was very pleased with the results when I used it on my 67 Spitfire. I do recommend however that you have a second person available to make the adjustments on the carbs while you are watching the flame in the combustion chamber. Its to difficult to do both. To see how effective I could tune the mixture without the Colortune I tried to do it by sound and compare the two results but the Colortune was so much more effective and efficient.

I have emailed the people at colortune several times inquiring how to get one, but they never return my emails :sad: