PDA

View Full Version : waxoyl

regularman
04-02-2004, 06:03 PM
I have never used this stuff and just ordered a starter kit. Is this stuff worth a **** or is it just a waste of money. Does anybody have any tips for applying this stuff?

Steve
04-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Waxoyl has a great reputation in the UK. If properly applied it is well worth every penny, so you should have no worries on that score. If it's cool out, you get better and easier application of the stuff if you stand it in hot water prior to using, just follow the instructions and you will be happy with the result.

Mark Beiser
04-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Its great stuff. The key is to get it covering the inside of ever cavety in the body. You may have to drill some holes for access though, just be sure you put a good body plug in any holes you have to drill, and try and find hidden locations for the holes.

Some cars, like the TR7, have great access to all the body caveties and are easy to treat, just have to pull some carpet and internal trim off.
Other cars, like an MGB, will require that you drill some access holes so you can get the applicator in for good coverage.
Under the sill plate is a good place for drilling a couple of holes for access to the inside of the sills. For access to other areas, look for trim pieces and such that can be removed to drill a hole behind. That way you don't end up with little body plugs all over the place like you see on cars that have had comercial rustproffing done, like Ziebart.

If you do have to drill a hole anywhere that gets wet, be sure to put a good body plug in the hole, and put some of the waxoyl on the plug before you pop it in.

If you properly treat the car, and retreat as per instructions, you won't ever have rustthrough from the inside.

I'm really going to overkill the rust protection on my car as I build it. Starting with ZRC cold galvanizing coating on the bare metal body shell and ending with a good waxoyl treatment when all the finish work is done, but before I install the interior.

regularman
04-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I have a midget stripped the bone right now and just got done welding some panels in and would like to see it last. Hopefully this one is a keeper