PDA

View Full Version : Intro from AC Cobra enthusiast / trailer guy

Tony Radford
02-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Greetings. Understanding that this is a non-commercial site, I have been given permission from Basil to introduce myself and a new product I have launched. My product, the Serpent Express, is a low-cost, lightweight, rugged and compact enclosed car trailer that I designed around my Cobra. Realizing the roots of the AC Cobra as a British sports car, I find it likely that enthusiasts of other open-top cars might have an interest in such a product. I will have a web site filled with specifications, features and build photos within the next week or so. I'm curious as to whether or not there is an interest within the British sports car community.

Thanks, Tony

https://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/14965020-thumb.jpg

https://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/14965003.jpg

Sherlock
02-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Just to say up front, I won't be in the market for a trailer like this anytime soon.

Anyway... I think there could be a potential market for a smaller trailer like this. A friend of mine who owns/runs a British repair garage designed and built an open car trailer that is much smaller than the average one. It's designed specifically for smaller cars (ie. British cars - everything from MGB's to Austin 1800's), and he told me once that the advantage is that is much easier to maneouver around, don't know if that's simply because of size or other features he designed into it. In his case it's a one-off, to the best of my knowledge he only built the one.

My two cents.

tony barnhill
02-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Actually, on my website I have a purpose-built trailer for small British cars....dove tail, winch, lots of extras....prototype's been in use for a year now & is back at manufacturer for a few improvements (different rear lights, spare tire, etc)........the enclosure is almost like yours & is about ready for its maiden voyage....if you'd like, I can post photos of my cover...main difference in mine is that my covering comes off & the framework folds down for beautiful weather traveling....&, my dovetail is inside top...oh, the ladder things on the front sides are the ramps

https://www.theautoist.com/newmgtrailer007.jpg
https://www.theautoist.com/newtrailer004.jpg
https://www.theautoist.com/newmgtrailer001.jpg

[ 02-11-2004: Message edited by: tony barnhill ]</p>

Basil
02-12-2004, 02:29 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tony Radford:
Greetings. Understanding that this is a non-commercial site, I have been given permission from Basil to introduce myself and a new product I have launched. <hr></blockquote>

Welcome to the forum, Tony. That's a neat product and I'm sure that there would be LBC owners who would have an interest, especially those who have really cherry show cars and want to keep them that way. Best of luck with your new business and be sure to add your web site to our vendor database once you get it up and running.

Basil

Jim Weatherford
02-12-2004, 02:50 AM
Hey Tony;

Have you had this little beauty over on www.clubcobra.com (https://www.clubcobra.com) ? Just a thought.

Tony Radford
02-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Tony, that's a pretty cute kit! Like me, you're configuring a product specifically for the market that you hold dear to your heart. The canopy is a challenging element. In the case of Cobras, most everyone has a really trick paint job and cringe at the thought of any material but air coming in contact. Anyway, best of luck to you!

Jim, I'm a frequent poster on Club Cobra and the Unique Cobra forums. I will certainly be purchasing a banner there, hopefully in the next week or so.

Basil, many thanks for the welcome and kind words about my product. I've been pretty seriously "lunched" on one of the other forums from skeptics. I guess thick skin can be a good thing.

waltesefalcon
02-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Tony,

Pretty slick little trailer you have there. Good luck with them.

Cheers, graemlins/thirsty.gif graemlins/driving.gif
Walter

tony barnhill
02-12-2004, 06:13 PM
WOW! This is a hard thread to keep up with - 2 Tony's, 2 trailers....

Tony...my enclosure was designed by an unholstery guy who specializes in boats...my criteria was that I could take if off & use trailer or leave it on & run @ interstate speeds behind my RV...I want to be able to put it up & protect car from weather (top down) & prying eyes....seems he's come through for me!

[ 02-12-2004: Message edited by: tony barnhill ]</p>

Tony Radford
02-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Tony, I see. You're not planning to haul the trailer down the Interstate with the canopy attached. That should make things a bit easier. Mine has to hold up at speed with the canopy in place, and raintight no less. It really worked out well. I'm using TIG welded canopy frame components with 5/16" friction locks. This enables me to adjust the frame dimensions slightly to compensate for material shrinkage and stretching due to temperature. I'm using the 18 oz polyster vinyl fabric and a continuous anchoring system to hold the fabric cover to the trailer frame. I get very little cover movement even at 70+ mph. I had a lump in my throat during the first test drive, but I was very lucky with the design. Is this fun or what?

tony barnhill
02-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Tony...sorry, miswrote that - yes, we're building it to withstand interstate speeds with canopy up or down...the thing I wanted was the ability to put it down rather easily!

"my criteria was that I could take if off & use trailer or leave it on & run @ interstate speeds behind my RV...I want to be able to put it up & protect car from weather (top down) & prying eyes"

[ 02-12-2004: Message edited by: tony barnhill ]</p>

Tony Radford
02-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Ok then, the challenge is on! By the way, where is Gurley? I'm a born and raised Montgomery man myself. I've been spending every Xmas there for 50 years.

tony barnhill
02-12-2004, 07:44 PM
NE of Huntsville - halfway between H'ville & Scottsboro

Jim Weatherford
02-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Tony,

I haven't been a regular for a few months but when I post I use the handle; JimsGems.

Simon TR4a
02-13-2004, 01:45 PM
To both Tonys...

I think the amateur racing community would be a good place to promote this type of trailer.
There is a need for a light enough trailer to tow without some monster tow vehicle, the cover is nice to keep rain off and give a minimum of security, and enough space for gas cans, set of wet tyres and a cooler.
Everything else can fit in the trunk of either the tow vehicle.
Simon.

tony barnhill
02-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Simon...that was what I was looking for when I designed mine...I tow it behind my Sonoma pickup all the time & my little pickup doesn't even know its there! I also wanted something I could put behind my RV for long trips while protecting my MG...

Tony Radford
02-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks Simon. Any particular sites in mind? I'm really struggling with just how to spend my very limited advertising dollars. A couple of Cobra sites are a slam dunk. This site is good (and cost effective).

Tony Radford
02-26-2004, 08:58 PM
If any of you guys are interested, I finally got my website up. The URL is www.serpentexpress.com. (https://www.serpentexpress.com.) Check it out and tell me what you think. I tried to establish the link, but I failed miserably. I will try again when I recoup my self esteem.

Thanks, Tony

tony barnhill
02-27-2004, 01:20 AM
Tony....nice site...would be good to have some photos on gallery of trailer with cover in place, partially in place, showing how its held on, etc....some dimensions such as overall height would also be nice....

...oh, I've only sold 1 of my trailers - without 'house'

Baxter
02-27-2004, 07:51 PM
That's a nice looking site, Tony, but tell your web guy he needs to add alt and title tags to all those images. Otherwise the search engines will never find you, since there's no text for them to read.

Tony Radford
02-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Tony, you're ahead! Good advise. Now that I have the site up, it's time to polish it a bit.

T

Tony Radford
02-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks Baxter. I don't know what you said, but I can certainly pass the message. I appreciate the comments.
T

Simon TR4a
03-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Tony, I would advertise in a mag like Grassroots Motorsports, or ask them about putting an ad on their website, exactly the right kind of readership, crazy about racing, not much money for fancy trucks and Featherlite enclosed trailers.
Also try SCCA chapters.
Simon.

Tony Radford
03-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Thank you Simon, sounds like a great idea.

Tony