PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 head guru needed

trrdster2000
07-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I just got a 73 TR6 that was nothing but rust, but it has a killer engine, blue printed and looks like it just came out of a cleaning tank, (go figure). I did a quick carb rebuild, (on the car) and put some gas in a bottle and a few other things to make sure the engine was free, ran great and I could tell it has a bunch of go in it and maybe a small cam. The bule printed Distributor seems better than my TR4 vacuum advance setup on mine.

Now my question is--- all the books show a difference in the '70 head as mine is and the '73 head. I would like to use my intake and exhaust on a swap over or am I going to run into problems. All these years and I have never done a changeover, just rebuilt what was there.

Thanks for any help

Wayne

BryanC
07-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm not a guru but...The intake port spacing on the early heads is different than the later ones. If you look at the intake manifolds for the two engines you should be able to see differences between the two. The intake manifold from your '70 won't fit properly on the '73 head. The exhaust manifolds should be interchangeable. So, I think you'll need to use the '73 head and intake manifold. All the rest should swap over.

Bryan

trrdster2000
07-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks Bryan, It's never easy but doesn't sound like a major problem as I will be using the whole engine from the '73. My exhaust is set up as a free flow and it all was done with the single head pipe and TR4 dual mufflers on the rear, sure do not want to get ride of them.

Thanks again, Wayne