PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problem...

Jim Weatherford
11-30-2003, 02:36 AM
The J-H I'm looking at with an eye to purchase very soon is in very good shape, the one thing I'm concerned about is the Synchros are not meshing, making double clutching a real need going up or down the ratios, and the gear "pops" out of 3rd. into neutral when torque is applied, or you take your hand off the shifter. I can deal with the lack of "instant" meshing while shifting, but I see a transmission re-build in the very near future. Is this about my only choice and does anyone have an idea of cost (range) for rebuild or repair.

The Toyota 5 speed conversion is looking better and better. Thanks.

[ 11-30-2003: Message edited by: Jim Weatherford ]</p>

Dale
12-01-2003, 07:14 PM
What transmission does your J-H have? Is it shared with any other LBCs? It's a shame they couldn't have put the Toyota 5 speed in all LBCs from about 1973. The Rover 5 speed in my TR7 is OK, but nothing like what I remember about my Celica GT. graemlins/driving.gif

Super 7
12-02-2003, 12:31 AM
Its a "Roots Group" 4 speed I believe. Per Jeff at JAE they are cheap to get rebuilt, and parts are available.

I wonder if you have to pull the engine to get it out,

On English Fords you don't have to.

Jim Weatherford
12-02-2003, 02:13 AM
I'm feeling better already. I would like to do the Toyota trans-plant, but $3,000 or more just doesn't seem reasonable....yet.

But that parts are available and fairly inexpensive to rebuild, I'll likely just do that for now. Thanks again for the update and info,

Jim Weatherford
12-09-2003, 10:53 PM
NEWS FLASH!!! Date Line... Orange, California.

J. Weatherford no longer wondering about transmission problems. Just purchased the JH without transmission problems. Whew, that was a easy choice.

Super 7
12-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Head down to the Donut shop on Magnolia and Adams in Huntington with it on the 27th. I intend to be there with my V8 Cortina. Its a pretty cool deal. You have to be there real early, like pre dawn. You will be amazed by what you see there, but they need more English cars.

I'm glad you bought one without all the needs. The money you save ain't worth the grief.

Jim Weatherford
12-16-2003, 04:03 AM
Super 7;

I finally got smart, after I added up the costs, I figured it out and followed the best advice I've gotten so far... buy the best you can. I going this weekend to pick up my new beauty, I'm getting very excited about the whole thing.

I'll try to get down to see you and the V8 Cortina and you, hopefully with my new JH too. I have been there many times with my Cobra replica and the Porsche 550 Spyder replica too. It is a great event, is it still every Saturday morning at oh-early-thirty?

See you there.

Jim Weatherford
01-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Photos are in the JH Gallery.