PDA

View Full Version : Installing Rear Brake Cylinder

TR6oldtimer
07-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Buckeye Triumphs once posted an article by Nelson Riedel on how to overhaul the rear brakes of a TR250 and TR6 (I also believe it is the same for as at least the later TR4's). This article is still available on line. For the most part the article is a great reference. However, the article is in error on how to install the rear cylinder locking plates.

The portion of the article in question is displayed in the first attachment.

The second attachment shows the proper way to install the locks. Part A and B are installed first. The tabs on the locks pointing out and up. Once on, insert tab C until the tabs on part A engage.

Note. Be sure to install the emergency brake arm before inserting the locks and grease both sides of the brake backing plate where the cylinder and part A ride on.

TR4
07-03-2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks Ray, I have all the parts to do this project over the upcoming winter. Nice to have a great photo reference along with the instructions.

kindofblue
07-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Do you have a link to the complete article? I have to replace the wheel cylinders on my 4A and would like the correct/best way to install the shoes.

toysrrus
07-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Hi There Kindofblue;

Hey; Have`nt seen you around the Forum lately: What have you been up to?

Regards, Russ

TR6oldtimer
07-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Here is the link. Select the technical button. I'll also link to it on Wiki

Buckeye archive (https://web.archive.org/web/20040327211401/www.buckeyetriumphs.org/)

PeterK
07-05-2007, 08:20 AM
https://web.archive.org/web/20030626171037/www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Rear/Rear.htm

kindofblue
07-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks
That should help a lot. Hey Russ - the wheels cylinders on the car froze and started leaking. I have a week and a half to Get R Done before VTR. I already orderered new parts from TRF.

kindofblue
07-07-2007, 06:37 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

The internet is a wonderful place. Thanks to the links and information here, I was able to disemble and reassemble the rear shoes and master cylinders without cursing. It took about two hours per side, I would have had no idea how to put it all back together without this information.

All that is left is adjusting the parking brake cables and bleeding.

Andrew Mace
07-07-2007, 06:47 PM
...All that is left is adjusting the parking brake cables and bleeding. Just an FYI, if you are/were having problems with the parking brake, the cables are about the last thing to adjust (unless you absolutely know they've stretched). With properly adjusted rear shoes and properly sliding (and otherwise functioning) wheel cylinders, odds are any parking brake problems you had will have gone away.

Tinster
07-07-2007, 08:21 PM
odds are any parking brake problems you had will have gone away.

Gosh Andy, if only that were true.

David installed new brake cylinders when he was here working
on Crypty and the brakes and brand new emergency brake worked
just fine.

I messed up and had to install brand new shoes, springs,
pins, clips etc. on both rear wheels. Brakes worked for
maybe 2 hours but now no rear brake function and no
emergency brake function either.

But that's the Crypt Car for you!!
It's always something breaking down.

d