PDA

View Full Version : FIRST BREAKDOWN

80spit
07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Anyone have an idea whats happening. The 1500 was running perfect until I started to lose power. Back firing and lots of black smoke. It would shut off and start and run for a few minutes then stop again. I replaced the coil and it starts but will not accelerate. At idle the engine revs up and down on its own from 800 rpm to 2000. If I try to give it gas it almost dies and backfires in the exhaust. I get blue smoke from the air filter some times. It still has the OEM ignition system. Any one have this happen. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Brosky
07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
It could be either fuel or ignition, but probably not both at the exact same time. Big help, huh?

Perhaps a split or broken diaphragm in the carb?

DrEntropy
07-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I refrained from posting that, Paul... I don't know the ZS setup on that car from memory. Hot water chokes? Is "OEM ignition" the Luminition box? <shudder>

Black sooty smoke is unburnt fuel. Beyond that without specifics we'll be stabbin' in the dark.

toysrrus
07-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi There;

Have You considered checking the Timing? My friend has an Alfa-Romeo Duetto and set his timing about 35deg off: Black Smoke, Loss of Power etc etc: Re-Set the timing & He was good to go! Try it; You may like it??

Regards, Russ

Scott_Hower
07-02-2007, 06:26 PM
I would have guessed a ripped carb diaphragm too.

DNK
07-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Temp combinsators??

kc_doyle
07-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I would look at the ignition first..

Brosky
07-02-2007, 09:38 PM
This is the only reason that I posted it Doc and it was a stab in the dark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]At idle the engine revs up and down on its own from 800 rpm to 2000. If I try to give it gas it almost dies and backfires in the exhaust. [/QUOTE]

Tinster
07-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Your first breakdown, huh?

You're one lucky son of gun.
My car breaks down, on average, every 19 miles or so!

Consider yourself very fortunate.

My car did what your's is doing once. It was a spark
plug wire that had become loose and was not firing.

d

AltaKnight
07-03-2007, 12:21 PM
I agree with the torn carb diaphragm diagnosis.
My TR6 was doing some of the same things and on investigation I found a 1/4" tear in the diaphragm, changed it out and all the problems went away.

The blue smoke from the airfilters is a sign of burnt oil possibly blow by from worn rings or valve guides; usualy this is recycled through the carb and burnt via a hose from the valve cover to the carb(s).

Brosky
07-03-2007, 04:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] My car breaks down, on average, every 19 miles or so!
[/QUOTE]

Complain, complain, complain!! That's all we ever hear from you.

Didn't Pedro explain that you only got a guarantee of 15 MBB (Miles Before Breakdown) when you forked over the cash???

And now you're up to 19, and still complaining?

Lighten up, will ya??