PDA

View Full Version : seat repair?

srmorse
11-15-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm in the process of trying to repair one of the bottom seat covers on my TR7. It has the blue velour material which I have been unable to find replacement covers for, so I'm trying to fix what's already there as the damage is not too bad.

There is a rip along the piping where the vinyl and material meet. It matches right up, and believe I should be able to fix it by putting reinforcing fabric behind the area in question and using an adhesive to bond it, followed by some discrete stitching.

The question I have is what type of fabric and adhesive should I use? Any helpful tips from anyone who has done this previously?

Thanks in advance.

--Saul

MichaelF
11-15-2003, 02:59 PM
No tips but keen interest. I have the same seats, same rips. What lousy quality material.

I've been wondering about trying to track down the companies that now make the [reasonably good] tartan sets. In my heart of hearts I can't belive that the demand for the soylent green and tarted red plaid seat covers exceeds the number of blue/tan 'ruched' seats in need of repair. If they knew there was a strong market for the late model seat covers, they might consider a run.

I'd be first on the list to buy.

Anyone know who **makes** those tartan sets? I'll lobby them to consider the ones smorse and I need.

srmorse
11-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Well I pulled the cover off and the vinyl was pretty brittle. I wasn't sure if it could be saved, so I knew it was beyond my abilities.

Opened the yellow pages and called a shop near I work (Neville's in Saratoga Springs). When I explained what I needed the guy said "yup, we can do that" and asked me to bring it down to take a look and get an estimate.

As I pull into the parking lot I notice the back end of a 1961 TR3A peeking out and immediately was interested. I went in and the guy took a look and told me the vinyl was pretty shot and needed replaced. Immediately $ signs flash in my eyes and when I asked him for an estimate he told me just $30! He started pulling through 100s of rolls of vinyl and pulled out a roll that identically matched my seat and piping as well. Asked him when I should check back, and he told me it would be ready in a day!

I noticed a license plate on the wall that ended with MG so I asked him if he was an MG guy and he said he was and he had a 51 TD. I guess I must have looked pretty interested and he asked me if I wanted to see it. We went to the basement garage and there was a beautiful 51 TD that he's had for over 20 years. Next to it was a 68 mustang conv and behind it was a gorgeous 59 pink Caddy! I asked him about the TR#A and he told me it was his wife's.

Pretty neat find, and I picked up a totally transformed seat cover the next day.

--Saul

coolgleam.gif

MichaelF
11-23-2003, 09:40 PM
This very exciting news .... I'm going to be in touch with you by PM to find out more.

Thanks for pressing ahead on this!!

srmorse
11-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Hi Michael--

Just sent you a PM with a link to photos and the shop's number.

--Saul

MichaelF
11-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks -- and the pictures help see what was done. This looks like an option for me.