PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 float level for sending unit?

ichthos
07-01-2007, 05:26 PM
My fuel gauge never showed full even when I topped my tank. I had to pull my gas tank out for various reasons anyway, so I decided to pull my sending unit too. I raised the float lever by hand all the way and it did read full on my gauge. I know I need to bend the lever down some, but how far? I can't find specs anywhere. When I turn my sending unit upside down on a flat surface (with a hole for the tabs to go through) the float is 1/4" from the flat surface it is setting on. Can anyone offer some suggestions on how to set the float level?
Thanks, Kevin

DNK
07-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Kevin- are you sure the float doesn't have a hole in it?

dklawson
07-03-2007, 07:05 AM
I agree with DNK, if you know that manually lifting the float to the top of the tank gives you a "full" reading, then you should be able to replace or repair the float and get the arm high enough without bending the arm.

If you have the plastic float, you can sometimes find the pin hole leak that's letting the fuel in, drill a slightly larger hole to get the gas out, then use a soldering iron to flow the plastic closed again to eliminate the hole.

07-03-2007, 05:18 PM
When I installed a new sending unit in my tank, I used the WAG technique for determining the proper bend in the wire holding the float. I was wrong. But close enough for government work.

ichthos
07-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your input. I finally received a couple of parts from TRF for my gas tank today, so I will try to play with the sening unit while it is out of the car. There is no hole in the float. I nice BCF person sent me another float a few months ago when I mentioned my float level problems just in case. I figure I will just have to guess and bend the lever down sligtly. I can always hook the float lever and bend it up again after istalling it if I need to.

Kevin

TR6oldtimer
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
If the tank is out of the car, fill it with water, then insert the sending unit and check the gauge reading, bend accordingly.

And yes, water is more dense the gasoline, but I doubt it will make much difference here.

trrdster2000
07-03-2007, 06:38 PM
ihthors, are you sure that it's getting the full range of motion? It should fall to the metal taps when you turn it up side down it should fall back to the other tap. Most I have taken apart have junk in them and the wire coil always needs cleaning with light sandpaper and get the point on the arm, after give a slight bend down to make sure it has good contact. To get it apart, pry the 3 little taps up on the cover and slowly work it off the pin with the slot head on it. There is a small spring under the pin but I have never had one go flying off on the floor, just be aware that it's there. To help in getting it apart give it a good coating of WD40 or such.

Wayne

ichthos
07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
At this point, since I have cleaned the sending unit and the arm has the full range of motion from tab to tab, I am just going to install it and work with it that way. I am going to let the gasket seal and bottom seals dry overnight anyway before I install the tank.By the way, what is the "WAG" method?
Kevin

trrdster2000
07-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Kevin, Gee, I've never done that, HaHa.

Wayne

07-04-2007, 03:53 AM
By the way, what is the "WAG" method?
Kevin

WildAssGuess

Bugeye58
07-04-2007, 07:41 AM
WildAssGuess

As opposed to a WAG with data, which becomes a SWAG.
<u>Scientific</u>WildAssGuess.
Jeff

ichthos
07-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Bill. I feel rather dense in that I don't know what many of the acronyms mean that are shared on the forum - sort of like the guy who doesn't get the joke in a crowd at a party. And Wayne, as you noticed , I took your advice, but was able to get a full range of motion without taking it apart. Thanks for the detailed information though. With my mechanical abilities, I find less is more.

Kevin

dklawson
07-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Oh... WAG and SWAG go way beyond the forum. Try them on your friends at work when you're in a meeting. I'm sure several of them will have heard and/or used them before. I was WAGing 29 years ago when I went off to college. Once I got my college degree I've been a professional SWAGer for 25 years.

TR6oldtimer
07-04-2007, 06:27 PM
In a past life, I was promoted to manager. In a meeting of managers and the administrator, the discussion morphed to a trashing of my department. Having had all I could stand, I blurted out, "That's a bunch of BS!" Shock and silence, I quickly added "that means before Steed", my last name. Never had a problem after that.

DNK
07-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Kevin- Don't feel bad. Most of the time I have to ask my daughter.

DrEntropy
07-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Sittin' here at th' new GPU, havin' a CAB, takin' a SWAG at why I can't get this Linux kernel's USB mod to recognise a 2G thumb drive.

It ~DOES~ sound like a ferrin' tongue! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

dklawson
07-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes... Technobabble or Technospeak. It's replaced Esperanto as a common world language.

MGTF1250Dave
07-06-2007, 09:22 PM
So, on a TR6, is the fuel gauge sending unit a variable resistor like the one in the TR3 & 4s? Just wondering if is "old technology" or newer electronic stuff.

TR3driver
07-06-2007, 11:43 PM
So, on a TR6, is the fuel gauge sending unit a variable resistor like the one in the TR3 & 4s? Just wondering if is "old technology" or newer electronic stuff. Same old technology. Simple, reliable, and most importantly cheap. AFAIK they still use it.