PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A lTR3 front motor mounts

prb51
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I've replaced the tranny mount when putting new seals in the tranny and diff.
Now I've the apron off to: convert to thin belt, add an alternator, put on a TR6 fan, add an oil cooler, rewire the headlights for halogen (advance Auto wire kit) and replace the motor mounts.
In the past (other vehicles) I've put a large wood block along the oil pan to jack the motor up a bit to replace mounts. Is this the same procedure for a TR3, any other issues?

PeterK
06-27-2007, 03:17 PM
That's how I just did it.

But I tried a TR6 fan and it wouldn't fit. Reversed it and it hit the chassis cross brace. Forward and it hits the radiator. So I opted for a BMW 2002 360mm red fan. I had to enlarge the 4 mounting holes to get them to line up but it fits and blows lots of air. Pictures are still in my shop camera but I'll post them shortly.

martx-5
06-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I've used the wood block method many times without a problem.

As far as the fan goes, since your going to narrow belt and alternator, why not just get an electric fan. You'll have more then enough power to run it.

prb51
06-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys, I tried the TR6 fan in place and replaced the radiator and everything seems to fit with enough room.
You're right about the electric fan though, I'll think about it.

PeterK
06-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys, I tried the TR6 fan in place and replaced the radiator and everything seems to fit with enough room.

Then you're the first. Take a picture for us. Are you missing the cross brace?

Geo Hahn
06-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I recall you have a TR3... not a TR3A like many of us. Perhaps that is why you were able to get the TR6 fan to fit?

PeterK
06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Interesting point. I hadn't thought that there might be a difference up front other than the apron.

MGTF1250Dave
06-27-2007, 07:33 PM
A word of caution when jacking up the engine, be careful not to bend the throttle cross shaft on the fire wall.

Russ Austin
06-27-2007, 08:00 PM
A word of caution when jacking up the engine, be careful not to bend the throttle cross shaft on the fire wall.

LOL I think any one who has replace an engine has bent the cross shaft, mine I think more than once. I remember the first time did that and saw the shaft was bent, I freaked. Turns out I bent it back in place, No problem.

martx-5
06-27-2007, 08:18 PM
I drove around for a couple of years with a bent throttle shaft and didn't notice the difference... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

prb51
06-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I'll have to check the throttle link but it's not much of a lift to get the mounts in place and it's already done - to late to look at the shaft til tomorrow. I'd replaced the tranny mount earlier so it was already higher in the back so maybe that helped the throttle shaft survive unbent.
I have the small mouth and the cross brace is in place and I had decent clearance from the cross brace and the radiator, don't need too much as for/aft movement is minimal anyway, or should be.

TR3driver
06-27-2007, 11:27 PM
You mean they aren't supposed to be like that ?!?

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif