PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Spitfire Ethics

BOXoROCKS
06-26-2007, 06:01 PM
I have a ethics dilemma, a fellow looked at my very nice original 80 Spit today,he liked it a lot,but he nicely told me he has decided on a 76 midget that is in appx equal condition,maybe slighty better. I said I understood,altho I was involuntarly rolling my eyes as I said it. We walked to his car and shook hands and he left. My question is..did I handle this correctly,or should I have attacked his manhood for even considering a rubber bumpered MG midget,then punched him out and trashed his car. I never know if I am handling these car sales situations correctly.

guzzul
06-26-2007, 08:15 PM
I never know if I am handling these car sales situations correctly. I'd say you handled it correctly. His manhood will likely be questioned by many others in any case, so you don't have to go there.

In future try narrowing your eyes down to slits, looking at the person like you seriously distrust their judgement, say something like "hmmmm, yes....I see..." and walk off shaking your head.

Or you could just maintain an aloof and superior silence (like they're not there) until the person goes away or begs forgiveness.

CinneaghTR
06-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you handled it right. The potential buyer may have a change of heart, the car may get sold out from under him, etc., and he may be coming back, but don't hold your breath. Selling a car is a tremendous waste of time in a lot of ways so don't feel too bad about the time spent showing him the car. Heck, he might even tell a friend who does want a Spitfire.

Let the MG guys buy MGs and the Triumph guys buy Triumphs.

06-26-2007, 08:35 PM
The correct thing to say was "Come back after you buy your little MG Midget and let's see who's rubber bumper is bigger"

No comparison!!!!!!!!!!!

Then beat him up and trash the MG like any Triumph owner would.

bcliff
06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
[quote} Let the MG guys buy MGs and the Triumph guys buy Triumphs.
I have MGs, Triumphs, an Austin, A Riley and an English Ford. None are any better that any others. Just get as many english cars as you can. If you really want to be an ambassador for the LBCs, convince the guy he needs the MG AND the Spitfire.
Bruce

CTC76828LO
06-26-2007, 09:38 PM
...should I have attacked his manhood for even considering a rubber bumpered MG midget,then punched him out and trashed his car.

In this situation, all of the above would be considered appropriate for any self-respecting Triumph owner. The only thing I would suggest in addtion is an appropriately administered mega-wedgie immediately before the punch out step.

BOXoROCKS
06-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Extra,Extra,..news flash..just got an email and pix from him,showing the dwarf,its nice,but not as original as he thinks,after market top/radio,dash cover and babys#*t yellow. Its nice tho....also he mumbled something about $2300.00 cheaper. Just as I suspected, a pedestrian shopper with a vulgur concern for money.

StagByTriumph
06-26-2007, 09:47 PM
I have a ethics dilemma, a fellow looked at my very nice original 80 Spit today,he liked it a lot,but he nicely told me he has decided on a 76 midget that is in appx equal condition,maybe slighty better. I said ...

You should have yelled in a surprised crinkled voice ...

YOU IDIOT!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
or
YOU FOOL!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

DrEntropy
06-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Just another Lot Lizard.

On to th' next suc.... ummm... customer. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Cyberpyr8
06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
The guy I bought my car from was telling me a story about the only other "serious" buyer he had spoken to. It was a lady looking at the Spitfire as a present for her husband. When she test drove it she told him that it made a lot more noise than her Miata did! He smiled and told her to go buy another Miata then.

So at least it was another British car he was considering and not a Japanese wannabe! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

tomshobby
06-27-2007, 12:21 PM
The vast majority of the population do their utmost best to like and do what and how the others like them like and do.

The reason I enjoy my LBC and the people on this forum is that we are able to enjoy the differences in each other and the freedom to enjoy our hobby as we wish without feeling the need to conform.

Consequently I realize that only the few will appreciate my car and the vast majority will not give their mind permission to wander from it's confined space!

StagByTriumph
06-27-2007, 01:48 PM
The vast majority of the population do their utmost best to like and do what and how the others like them like and do.

The reason I enjoy my LBC and the people on this forum is that we are able to enjoy the differences in each other and the freedom to enjoy our hobby as we wish without feeling the need to conform.

Consequently I realize that only the few will appreciate my car and the vast majority will not give their mind permission to wander from it's confined space!

Woah Tomshobby, that is a bit too deep and cerebral for some of us to comprehend, /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazyeyes.gif or in other words, that nut is larger than my spanner can reach ... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

StagByTriumph
06-27-2007, 02:06 PM
This discussion reminds me of a trip up to the top of Loveland Pass Colorado about October 2005.

Picture this:
We had stopped next to the summit elevation sign to snap a few photos of our 1973 Triumph Stag with the snow patched peaks of the continental divide in the background.

A guy walks up behind me while I am half squatted, framing the photo, asks me "is that a 'new car'? "

Completely caught off guard in utter amazement to such a question, and while deeply flattered, I slowly fell over being off balance both physically and mentally. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif