PDA

View Full Version : sealant for sending unit

ichthos
06-25-2007, 08:39 PM
I will be placing my sending unit back on the gas tank shortly. Can anyone recommend a sealant I can put on the cork gasket that is impervious to gasoline and will not break down later?

Thanks, Kevin

06-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Kevin, I have used Permatex Aviation with success. Others may argue that. The label says it is impervious to gasoline.

Geo Hahn
06-25-2007, 09:19 PM
I used Blue Hylomar just because it never sets up. On a TR3 you can do this (jusr barely) with the tank in place.

In case I ever had to re-do I wanted something on there that could be wiped off (rather than scraped) due to the limited access area.

If you have to pull the tank anyway on a TR6 (I think you do) then Aviation Form-a-Gasket would make sense too.

dklawson
06-26-2007, 07:01 AM
I agree with TR6Bill. Aviation Form-a-Gasket is also non-hardening and it's the sealant I use the most, especially when things are exposed to gasoline.

What you must NOT use is RTV/Silicone. Silicone and gas do not mix. Never use it on anything fuel related.

DrEntropy
06-26-2007, 04:41 PM
I'll 'third' the Form-a-Gasket. And Hylomar works fine too. With the Hylomar, just a THIN film is enough. Both compounds are gasoline impervious. Neat stuff! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif