PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to polarize a generator

TypeRboy
01-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Can anyone tell me the answer to this? I have heard that it is pretty easy, but who knows..

Also is it possible to polarize a regulator? Or is it even necessary to do this if I am switching to negative earth?

I have heard ( and again who knows..) that positive earth systems accelerate the rust problem on steel bodies..

piman
01-13-2003, 03:47 AM
Hello TypeR,

The procedure is know as 'flashing the field'.
Swop over the battery terminals, remove the field conection (smaller of the two connections) to the dynamo, and start the engine.
Now just touch the field wire to the field terminal of the dynamo a couple of times which should explain the 'flashing', then reconnect it and all should be changed over. If you have an ammeter then also swop its terminals over.
I have heard the same story, but my positive earth Jag does not seem to rust any faster than my negative earth Triumph.

Alec graemlins/cheers.gif

TypeRboy
01-14-2003, 02:29 AM
Thanks Piman.. That sounds as easy as ' pi' images/icons/grin.gif

piman
01-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Hello TyeRboy,

you're welcome, tried to think of a witty reply but you have got me beaten.

Alec graemlins/cheers.gif graemlins/cheers.gif

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: piman ]</p>

TypeRboy
01-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Hahahahaha!!!

TypeRboy
01-19-2003, 04:30 AM
Oh, the other half of the question.. Is the reg the same? I figure the wires will need switching around at least...

Enquiring minds just want to know..

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: TypeRboy ]</p>

MDCanaday
01-19-2003, 01:56 PM
If you play with the regulator all the smoke will leak out!!! Just reverse the amp meter leads(unless you like to read it backwards, no harm)then reverse the coil leads(so positive is the hot wire & - goes to the points). The starter doesnt care one way or the other, and your done.
The ritual of the re-polarizing may or may not be needed but is so easy you dont even need to call a shaman!!!
MD(mad dog)

TypeRboy
01-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Thanks MDCanaday.. I figured out that the starter doesn't care one way or another when I put my Japanese starter in the Elan. I have to actually put a volt meter into the car cause it doesn't have one...
( I have a fuel guage and a speedo.. That's it! )

Now that you filled me in about the reg.. I'm good to go!

I really can hardly wait to get this show on the road, I'm just waiting to get the licencing sorted out ( that's what you get starting with an abandoned car ).