PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Sunbeam Alpine. What to look for?

BritCarFan
06-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Hello all,

Just came across a 1967 Subeam Alpine for $2,600. I am interested but I need to pick your brain as to what to look for when buying one. I am not even sure if this is a good price for a (according to the seller) decent example. And of course, how is the parts availability in the US?

Thanks,

AltaKnight
06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi Britcarfan...
I'm not an expert on Alpine's although I certainly like the cars.
For ALL British cars the key is to look for one that has as little rust on it as possible. Key areas for all British cars are the bottoms of the A & B pillars, rocker panels under the doors and up under the fenders where the mud and moisture collects when thrown off the wheels and rust always follows.
Most other things can be fixed yourself but too much rust will break your heart not to mention your wallet.

DART
06-20-2007, 05:00 PM
"Key areas for all British cars are the bottoms of the A & B pillars, rocker panels under the doors and up under the fenders "

not if they're made of plastic /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Tullamore
06-21-2007, 10:27 AM
BritCarFan the Sunbeam are very sturdy vehicles they have a large x-frame underneath them that will hold them together even if everything else rusts away. Check the x-frame for any damage or cracks as this is the most important part of the car.

The bottom of the battery box will be where the most rust will probably occur but that is an easy fix.

Take a look of my total restoration project to see the areas where my Alpine has rusted.

https://www.passthespanner.com/projects.php?Project=67Alpine

BritCarFan
06-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the advise guys. After careful consideration, I decided not to bid on the car as I am still looking for a Stag. The car eventually sold for $3,400.

pa297pass
06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
I am still looking for a Stag.

Hi BritCarFan!

FWIW, forum member "bcliff" is selling his Stag. There is a picture of it on in this thread (scroll down):

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/309520/page/3/fpart/2

Looks like a really nice car, and you wouldn't have to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the Stag motor.

Good luck and I'm always happy to spend someone elses money!

Matt