PDA

View Full Version : Paging Steve - RE: Zaino

Basil
12-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Steve,
Now that you have received the Zaino kit, you might wnat to look at the Zaino (https://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm) web page for tips on proper application, as that will make all the difference. ANd when they say "thin coats" they mean thin...
(PS, if you decide to do the claybar first, you can; probablt get claybar at the local Napa or Autozone, Pepboys, etc.

Basil

Basil
12-20-2002, 11:45 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aerog:

DO order good towels, or shop for them. They might cost a little bit up front, but Sal's recommendations are, as usual, right on the mark. I order what he recommends off yahoo.<hr></blockquote>

YES! In fact, buy 100-percent cotton bath towels (like Cannon) and cut then up to size. Be sure to cut off the tags - they scratch!

aerog
12-21-2002, 01:32 AM
I don't even cut them to size images/icons/smile.gif I fold them, use them, flip, unfold and refold, flip, etc. They end up lasting quite awhile that way.

Not only do the tags scratch, but the outer bindings on many "cotton" towels (even the Cannons) have a high nylon content and will scratch a fine paint job. I usually trim the entire perimeter of the towel, including the inset borders (about 4" in from the ends). The left-over thin strip of towel makes a great chrome polishing rag. It kind of makes a mess doing all that, but it seems to be better on the paint.

Lastly - don't use any detailing spray except the stuff Zaino supplies and sells. Some of the chemicals in the other sprays defeat the effort put forth by doing the entire Zaino process. His details work great the other way (on waxed surfaces) though.

Gee, maybe I need to go put a few coats on the cars this weekend! images/icons/smile.gif

aerog
12-21-2002, 04:47 AM
Avoid using the Meguire's claybar kit. It is infamously bad, and although I had some success with it the first time I used mine I couldn't believe the quality difference between it and the Mother's kit. Since then I've got the Zaino version (I think it's probably the same as clay-magic).

Basil's words about THIN layers is on the mark. Start with a totally clean car - and that means completely clean and clear of all waxes, oils, silicons, detailing agents, etc.

DO order good towels, or shop for them. They might cost a little bit up front, but Sal's recommendations are, as usual, right on the mark. I order what he recommends off yahoo.