PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up seat frames.

jackag91
06-18-2007, 03:42 PM
I am guessing that best thing to do is just get them sand blasted to take the rust off and then spray them down with some reasonable quality paint.

Or is there a better plan of attack?

Tinster
06-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Well, I stripped mine to bare metal, sanded off the rust,
washed them in xylol and then powder coated them gun barrel
black and baked them in my wife's kitchen oven for 20 minutes
at 400* F.

The frames came out real nice- wife was NOT amused!

d

PeterK
06-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I would recommend NOT to do that again because powder coat leave a toxic residue in the oven, not to mention the effect of the fumes on your health.

I wear an organic vapor/P95 respirator (3M #07193) when I have to be in the shop while curing powder and fine particulate (3M pink #2091) respirator when applying the powder. It's nasty stuff and best to follow the warnings that came with your powder coat gun.

My dad died of lung cancer and was a big time shop person and never wore a mask until late in his short life. It was not a good way to go.

Tinster
06-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for info Peter.

I was not aware it was toxic
and I DO have lung disease.

thanks again,

dale

jackag91
06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
can you take the frames apart? I mean any more than taking off the two handles, the latch, the webbing and the diaphragm?

RonMacPherson
06-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Another thing to give consideration is, when the part flexes, frames, etc. the powder coating can crack. In a high humidity environment, like the Caribbean you're setting it up for a rust entry point. Better to paint in a good anti rust paint(POR, Eastwood's product, etc.)