PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion treatments?

aerog
12-15-2002, 07:05 PM
I know quite a few people use Waxoyl (and have for some time) for corrosion protection in cars - any other products being used?

I use Corrosion-X on my airplane and have considered using it on the cars, the principle is the same as Waxoyl but is also used as a lubricant on hinges and electrical connections.

12-15-2002, 08:34 PM
Here is a recipe for homemade waxoyl from another bbs:Take a pound or so of parafin wax and grind
it up with a cheese grater. Soak it in a half gallon of mineral spirits
until all of the wax is dissolved. This might require allowing it to
sit in a closed container for a couple of weeks. Stirring will cause
most of the wax to dissolve, but soaking should take care of the rest.
Generally try to dissolve as much wax as the mineral spirits will hold.

After that, dump in a couple of pints of mineral oil ( less of a smell )
or non-detergent motor oil.

If the mixture is thick, thin it further with more mineral spirits until
it is of a sprayable consistency

12-15-2002, 08:35 PM
and I can see where it would have lubricating value

aeronca65t
12-16-2002, 01:38 PM
I've used this stuff (cold galvaizing "paint")....works good if everything is fairly clean. My local hardware store has it in spray cans.

https://www.alvinproducts.com/galvax.asp

aerog
12-16-2002, 01:54 PM
I'm looking more for a mist treatment than a paint type, but that's interesting stuff.

The first time I corrosion-Xed the 152 I was pretty amazed. I closed everything up in the wing except for two panels (one at a time), shot a bunch of the stuff in one panel, closed it, and went to the other. If you look around in there now with a mirror you can see every panel line, joint, rivet, and corner completely coated with the stuff plus they claim in penetrates those seams/joints. Also did the gear-box under the seat, and the rear fuse with it - same effect.

I might try to do a door with both Waxoyl and Corrosion-X and see how it goes images/icons/smile.gif

John Loftus
12-16-2002, 03:34 PM
I've used a rust remover product by Bull Frog on some tools but it needs to be reapplied over time. They also have some "emitters", little foam strips, etc. that you can put in your toolbox or toolshed to keep rust away with Vapor Corrosion Inhibitors (VCI's). Again ... they need to be replenished but it is interesting technology. https://www.bullfroginc.com/main.html
I was able to find it at a local True Value hardware store.

Cheers, John