PDA

View Full Version : AstroShield - anyone?

Basil
08-17-2002, 12:46 PM
A friend of mine was telling me about a car polish (not a wax) called "Astro Shield." I was wondering if anyone here has heard of it and had any experience with it?

Basil

Steve
08-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Not heard of it. Did he say if it was any good?

Basil
08-17-2002, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Steve:
Not heard of it. Did he say if it was any good?<hr></blockquote>

He was very impressed with it...said it lasted a long long time. He also recounted how some aircraft reduced their fuel consumption by quite a bit by using this stuff.

Bas

aerog
08-24-2002, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:

He was very impressed with it...said it lasted a long long time. He also recounted how some aircraft reduced their fuel consumption by quite a bit by using this stuff.

Bas<hr></blockquote>

Technically this is true, but in reality doesn't necessarily represent a significant savings, and also doesn't necessarily mean that any other wax or polish doesn't also increase efficiency by reducing drag... or even take into account the possibility that just keeping the paint clean and bug/dirt-free is just as effective.

An interesting scientific study was done on the subject a few years ago: https://www.cafefoundation.org/aprs/Wax%20Job%20with%20PICT.pdf

CraigFL
08-25-2002, 08:20 AM
Or.... sometimes "rougher" is better as in the case of golf balls where the dimples actually improve the drag coefficient and make the ball fly further.

Basil
08-26-2002, 02:06 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CraigFL:
Or.... sometimes "rougher" is better as in the case of golf balls where the dimples actually improve the drag coefficient and make the ball fly further.<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't work for my golf game images/icons/grin.gif

William
08-26-2002, 02:28 PM
So I shouldn't take the parking lot dings out of the MGB....they make it faster? Cool! Weekend saved!
-Wm.

XJRpilot
08-26-2002, 11:25 PM
its actually a "glaze", which differs from a "polish".
i've used it, and it looks ok. holds up pretty well. its made in brooklyn, ny. i do like the 40-50's style advertising on the can though. makes it look like its been around for 70 years.
the can is rectangular shaped and is colored yellow and black. the logo of "astroshield" is in cursive. contains flouro-co-polymers. a bit pricey @ around 20-30bucks a qt.
i'll stick with a good pure 30-50% yellow carnuaba wax like mothers, meguires, or blitz.
you would have to go above 150mph to see any aerodynamic benefit claims, anyway.

Basil
08-27-2002, 01:41 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by XJRpilot:
its actually a "glaze", which differs from a "polish".
i've used it, and it looks ok. holds up pretty well. its made in brooklyn, ny. i do like the 40-50's style advertising on the can though. makes it look like its been around for 70 years.
the can is rectangular shaped and is colored yellow and black. the logo of "astroshield" is in cursive. contains flouro-co-polymers. a bit pricey @ around 20-30bucks a qt.
i'll stick with a good pure 30-50% yellow carnuaba wax like mothers, meguires, or blitz.
you would have to go above 150mph to see any aerodynamic benefit claims, anyway.<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't sound like something I'd want to try either. I think I will stick with my Zaino Bros. Show Car Polish for now images/icons/grin.gif

Basil

aerog
09-01-2002, 12:49 AM
Maybe you can buy a bottle and go over that new tile floor Bas.

bbbbailey
09-15-2002, 06:57 PM
In sailboat racing, it is found that a mirror smooth bottom is not the fastest. A bottom lightly toothed causes the adherence of the contact layer of water, which in turn forms a boundry layer to adjacent water. The friction
(drag) of water against water is less than the drag of water against the mirror smooth bottom.

All this is usually at less than ten knots, and in water not air. (unless it's raining)

Bob

bbbbailey
09-15-2002, 07:03 PM
I was a happy Blitz waxer and then tried a brand of the new Space Age wonder stuff. Very glossy, brillant, long lasting, but after many coats, just
not the same depth. I'm back to Blitz.

Bob

09-16-2004, 12:47 PM
I have a brother-in-law that swears by it. He used to clean up cars for dealers and thats what he used.
Bob

PC
09-16-2004, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its actually a "glaze", which differs from a "polish"...

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately there is no standardization in the industry. In addition to that, many manufacturers' descriptions of just what their products are or do are very confusing.

What Astroshield calls a polish is not what Meguiar's or 3M call a polish but may or may not be what Mother's or Zaino call a polish. Simple enough? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Meanwhile, what Zaino calls a polish Meguiar's calls a protectant. At least Meguiar's and 3M pretty much agree on glaze. That's what Meguiar's means by polish but not 3M because they almost (but not quite) mean compound when they say polish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

In case that isn't sufficiently complicated many companies mix multiple materials and functions together and then they name them randomly.

Bottom line; read labels very carefully to see if what it does is what you really have in mind.

A word of advice, Astroshield's website (https://www.astroshield.com/) suggests you "Use soft, clean, dry rags - like an undershirt" for application. This is not a good idea. Using random old clothing for polishing is the quickest road to major swirl marks, especially with clear coat finishes. Stick to real towels, either microfiber or 100% cotton.

PC.