PDA

View Full Version : LBC Trailer - smallest?

Bill Tubbs
04-24-2002, 11:55 PM
When I picked up my Midget last year I rented a U-Haul car trailer. The dang thing itself weighed 2000 lbs. The Midget comes darn close, so I towed almost 2 tons behind a 1985 V-6 Ford Ranger pickup. I barely made it up the only major hill at about 40 mph (made lots of other drivers really happy even though it WAS on a freeway).

I will probably have to tow it a few more times before I get it fully road-worthy. Does anyone have experience with trailer sizes that can tell me the minimum size and weight trailer available for our little cars? Seems to me that there should be a nice little 1000lb model around somewhere that's safe and practical. Lopping off 1K would sure be a big help!

Bill
https://tubbs.cc/mg
graemlins/cheers.gif

aerog
04-25-2002, 12:11 AM
Bill:

I briefly looked at trailers last year. The "best" I could find (without going full blown huge race-type trailers) were enclosed with a door that dropped down to a ramp. The trailer was something like 1500lb I think, and with the 2000+ basic empty weight of the MGB you're talking a bunch of dead weight.

I'm in the same situation. I'd like to get a trailer but by the time you get the right one so the car is out of the sun and weather, you're talking about a good size truck to pull it.

aeronca65t
04-25-2002, 07:49 AM
I'm not a big fan of trailers (because it bugs me not to drive a car to a local event)......but I understand the need for using one if you need to bring the car to the paintshop or move it long distance. I actually looked at some recently.

One option is a "car dolly". Carries only two wheels....the other two wheels roll on the ground. Fairly light and simple. My local trailer dealer sells them for ~ $950. I've rented one from U-Haul with success.

There are lighter trailers intended for lawn equpt/ATVs. that can carry 1500-2000 lbs. Again, my local dealer sells one for about $1300. He also has a simpler flatbed trailer (cap 1500 lbs) for about $800. My trials Midget weighs 1400 lbs, so this would just work for me. (Dealer: Trailerama, Rt 206, Andover, NJ).

Here's something I saw on the net that might work for a very light Midget/Spit/FIAT/etc

https://www.tufindustries.com/builtatv.htm

One other option I've used is to rent a small U-Haul cube van and put the (race)car inside it. I'm not sure if this is "approved" by U-Haul, but it works great for a race weekend.

It is dificult to avoid owning a big tow vehicle if you have an LBC......sometimes I wish we had one.....we have 4 new cars and none of them are suitable for towing (everyone else in the family dislikes trucks/SUVs just as much as I do).

aerog
04-25-2002, 05:46 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aeronca65t:
I'm not a big fan of trailers (because it bugs me not to drive a car to a local event)......but I understand the need for using one if you need to bring the car to the paintshop or move it long distance. I actually looked at some recently.<hr></blockquote>

I think it's just one great big hassle, and frankly the reason I have these cars is for the fun of driving them. Unfortunately a great number of the shows I'd like to participate in are hundreds of miles away (I'm looking at two next month that are 450-500 miles one-way). Unfortunately when it gets to 90+deg like it is now that just becomes an un-fun proposition sometimes.

The idea of the dolly or lightweight open-air trailer is ok, but it kind of defeats my reasons for wanting a trailer in the first place - to protect the car from the road and the elements.

Kind of can't really win all the time, unfortunately images/icons/smile.gif

Bill Tubbs
04-26-2002, 03:00 AM
Actually, the tow dolly idea is one I forgot about! I was going to use one when I first bought the car because the owner told me he thought the brakes were locked up from sitting idle for so long (they weren't). I ended up with a trailer by default... but now that it's a genuine rolling, drivable (albeit not legally) vehicle I'll look at tow dollies again.

Thanks!!!

Bill graemlins/cheers.gif