I found this small cylinder sitting on top of
my gas tank. One end connects with a small diameter
tube to the tank on top. The tube coming out of the
left end of the cylinder runs about nine inches and
then stops.

There is a four inch gap of no tube and then the tube
begins again. The tube then circles the outside perimeter
of the trunk and exits thru the trunk bottom where it
finally ends just past the Armstrong lever shock.

I found pieces of this tube before and someone said it
runs to a charcoal canister in the engine compartment.
Is this the charcoal canister and if so why does it loop
around the trunk? Should I connect the missing 4" gap?

Thanks as always-D
https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/TinsterTR6/whatisthis2.jpg

TR6oldtimer
06-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Dale,

The part is called the expansion tank and is part of the vapor recover system. For your car it connected to a pipe that went around the trunk, then down through the trunk loor, under the car forward to the charcoal canister located in the right front of the engine compartment. Some have disabled the system and instead just terminate the vent pipe under the trunk. What ever you do, you should definitely make sure the pipe does not vent to the inside of the car.

Tinster
06-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks Ray,

There is no charcoal canister in the engine compartment.
I'm not sure my 1968 TR250 engine had one.
Neither is there any tubing similar to that in the trunk.
My trunk might not be a 1969 car. It could be later.

As it stands right now, the existing tube vents directly
into the trunk space, upper left corner near the lid hinge.

Should I connect the tube and extend it straight down thru
the existing bottom opening? And remove the circular piece?

thanks,

d

NickMorgan
06-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Watch out Dale. That could be the self-destruct mechanism!

TR6oldtimer
06-08-2007, 01:32 PM
The lack of a charcoal canister in the engine compartment has nothing to do with the TR250 engine in your car. It only means Pedro or someone else removed it and disabled the vapor recovery system. Not to worry.

On later TR6's the tubing from the expansion tank cylinder did not go around the trunk. It simply went down, following the inner fender well, through the trunk floor where it then followed the gas line along the frame to the front of the car.

I would vent the tank down from the expansion tank, following the inner fender well for support, then though the bottom of the trunk where I would end it an inch or so below the floor.

AltaKnight
06-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Dale....
As Ray pointed out above, just make sure you vent it outside the car and the trunk any way you can, then quit worrying about it, it's not critical.

davidk
06-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Hello Dale. I would do it just like you said. Come off the expansion tank and run a new hose to a point below the car. While you're there, I would go ahead and replace the hose from the fuel tank to the expansion tank. The old tubing gets brittle and might allow fumes into the car. David K.

DNK
06-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Dang Dale, Your boot is in great shape. I'm jealous. On my 71 the expansion tank is on the pass. fender area and is 10 times that size. We have ppes that circle the boot like a racetrack.

Brosky
06-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Ever hear the expression "kick the tires and light the fires"?

(Independence Day movie, and Air Force pilots)

Well, you knew how to kick the tires from what the Crypty diary posted last night said, so now you'll have an outlet to "Light the Fires".

What I'm saying is that it's really your hidden afterburner.

Tinster
06-08-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm wondering if my whole garage will become an
afterburner when I next turn the key for ignition.
It smells like a Texas oil refinery with all the
gallons of gasoline sitting here and there in tubs
and buckets.

d

Brosky
06-08-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm sure that you know this already, but that stuff has to go away and it has to go away NOW!!!

Harry_Ward
06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Dale,

Paul is right on! Get that gas out of your garage. Just the fumes are an ignition source. All I can say is that any tiny little spark creates this big flaming vortex that shoots across the air to the source. Then before you can even think about running you hear this big whoosh sound and see bigger flames from the source. This happened to me once where one of my employees didn't think about the consequences of using gasoline to clean parts. Needless to say I still have my hair but all the gray mixed in there is from days like those.