PDA

View Full Version : eBay scam reply from seller

Bruce Bowker
05-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Just to see what would happen I emailed the seller about the $6000 1965 Corvette and got this back. I also infomed him his auctions were pulled from ebay. Will be fun to see what he emails me next.

Good evening,

The Chevrolet : Corvette, 65 Corvette 396/425 hp Matching Frame Off, is in a perfect condition with only 66502 mileage.It will be shipped from GERMANY and you have to pay the shipping and insurance charges.

VIN Number: 194375S113934

The car's title is clear. If necessary ever I will assist you in getting registered help.

Right now it is ready to ship.

The price we hope to obtain is US $ 6,000.00 and if you agree with this price we can start to complete the transaction.

The payment must be done using a money order.

The inspection period for it is 30 days.

If you agree with these terms,let me know and i will be more than glad to start to complete the transaction with you.

Thomas Weber
Thanks!

aerog
05-03-2004, 03:17 AM
Well, we already knew it was a scam - but that's just bloody stupid. The pictures of the 'vette not only were obviously not Germany (American flags in the background were sort of a giveaway) but they also had the dealer's name on the back of the car. images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Bruce Bowker
05-03-2004, 03:25 AM
I guess some of these guys are pretty dumb but then I suppose the victims are even more dumbererest. images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif

If I were scamming I would at least have a price that sounded good, not rediculously cheap. 1965 Corvette for $6000??? He should have said $25,000 and asked for $5000 deposit and then ran. Gee hope nobody reads this and gets an idea. But someone somewhere will think they are getting a deal at $6000 and fall for it.

I am anxious to see if he replies to my email calling him a fraud.

Bruce Bowker
05-03-2004, 07:11 AM
Here is his email back to me after I told him he was a fraud

"You are completely wrong, i buyed the cars from US and bring it here just 1 week ago.The photoa are taked there, but good luck anyway!!!

Thomas."

rulle7
05-03-2004, 07:49 AM
graemlins/lol.gif Ah, well in that case... graemlins/lol.gif

waltesefalcon
05-03-2004, 08:10 AM
Hey you guys just need to give an honest guy a break. I mean heck I have heard of all kinds of German Millionare philanthropists who buy classic American cars ship them to Germany then turn around and sell them right back to needy Americans car lovers for 5 or 6 grand.

Cheers, graemlins/thirsty.gif graemlins/driving.gif
Walter

Bruce Bowker
05-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Ok - I have to tell everyone that the reason why I pursued this is because it is the 5th time I fell for the scam. graemlins/crazy.gif graemlins/crazy.gif

I REALLY thought this guy was being honest with a 1965 $6000 Vette fully restored.

And I really wanted one. Regardless, I found a Vette in similar condition for less so I will get that one instead. I think it is in Russia.

ThomP
05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
The other one that throws the scammers is the phrase: I will be in Germany tomorrow (or whenever) can I come by and see the car prior to making payment??????

This will smoke them out quickly. There was a scammer that was trying to sell Hewlett Packard test equipment. He registered in West Palm Beach. I asked to come by and see the gear, suddenly the unit was in England. I told him that was OK too, as it happened, I would be flying there on other business in 2 days. He wrote back the unit was sold and took it off ebay some hours later.

Some days later, the same photos and same equipment showed up on ebay again. This time listed as being in Toronto and again to a 0 feedback, reqistered the day the equipment was listed. ebay took the item down in less than 24 hours.

I can't imagine what the job of policing stuff like that is like. Do they have "spiders" looking for keywords and phrases?

Cain
05-03-2004, 02:42 PM
It's funny you guys are talking about this. I saw a sweet Austin Healey for $5,000 on collectorcartraderonline.com the other day and thought it had to be a mistake. So, I emailed the guy thinking he had posted the wrong price.

AH on Collector Car Trader (https://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/0/70372360.htm)

Here is his reply:

Hi there,
My name is Michael Follmer and i am glad you are interested in my 1960 AUSTIN HEALEY 3000 MK.
The car will be shipped from Italy , Rome and i will cover the shipping costs and insurance.You will not have to pay additional taxes, just the price for it.I just want to tell you from the beginig that everything regarding this car is legit.
The buy it now price is $ 5000(including shipping and handling).
Shipping:
-I will ship the unit with Lufthansa Air Cargo, and you will receive it in 5 days.This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year,so there will be no probleme to use it even in weekends. those are just a few things that you are benefit of:
No weight or size restrictions (subject to aircraft)
Booking guarantee
Clear transit time statement
Tracking services
I guess it is better for bouth to use it ,because is not like others services (FedEx ,UPS), regarding the size and weight of the unit.
Some words about the car :
Perfect condition. No damage,no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, and it is as advertised.The car is an US model with US specs,it passed the test emissions and comes with all the documents you need to register the car .I am the original owner of the car and the title is clear.
Also,if you send me your full name and address,so i can make a reservation for shipping, and in this case I will take you as a serious and possible buyer( this way I will loose all the nonpaying bidders that I occur everyday) and arrange a further deal.
Let me know
Thanks

Hey, at least I wouldn't have to pay shipping!! Did this guy use the MS Word scam template or what?

[ 05-03-2004: Message edited by: Cain ]</p>

Bruce Bowker
05-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Perhaps as a final note, the real seller who is a dealer in Florida has the car on ebay now.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2477201912&category=6168

05-03-2004, 07:51 PM
looks a lot more reasonable or at least realistic graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Bruce Bowker
05-03-2004, 08:01 PM
This time it is for real I am sure. Also informed the scammer about the auction, emailing him the link. images/icons/grin.gif graemlins/lol.gif graemlins/devilgrin.gif

aerog
05-04-2004, 03:26 AM
There must be some kind of international monitary limits on "fraud" because they're all trying to stay around the $5000-$7000 range on cars that are obviously much more expensive. I've no idea how much it costs to ship a vehicle via air, but I imagine it costs plenty. $5000 for a '60 AH3K including AIR shipping? At least make the scam sound believable! images/icons/smile.gif

Bruce Bowker
05-04-2004, 03:44 AM
Cain - I love it. graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif He will include air freight from Italy on a $5000 car!!!!!! These guys are either 10 years old or really really stupid. But I said earlier there is always someone even more stipuderest.

Bruce Bowker
05-04-2004, 03:48 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ThomP:
I can't imagine what the job of policing stuff like that is like. Do they have "spiders" looking for keywords and phrases?<hr></blockquote>

With the probably millions of sales on ebay going on I can't imagine how they can track that kind of thing. I turned in the Corvette/Mini guy and it was off ebay in literally minutes. Hate these scamming people.

Your story was great. It is fun playing with these people.

aerog
05-04-2004, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bruce Bowker:
Perhaps as a final note, the real seller who is a dealer in Florida has the car on ebay now.
<hr></blockquote>

YUP! That's the real seller with the dealer plate-frames too. Note the price images/icons/grin.gif

Steve
05-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Er....it's a different car. The one that the scammer was trying to move was a coupe.

aerog
05-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Oh yeah it is... DUH... same original dealer though images/icons/smile.gif

Bruce Bowker
05-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Yikes. My mistake. graemlins/blush.gif Here is a link again to the coupe for whatever. Image Motor Co. so they did or do have that car I guess. Oh well the scammer is gone for now.
https://www.motorcities.com/contents/04BPL523700663.html

[ 05-04-2004: Message edited by: Bruce Bowker ]</p>