PDA

View Full Version : scam on eBay?



Bruce Bowker
05-01-2004, 09:33 PM
It is not a LBC but this sure looks like another of those scams.


https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6168&item=2476892 812&rd=1 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6168&item=2476892812&rd=1)


And another one also.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31861&item=2476894754
[ 05-01-2004: Message edited by: Bruce Bowker ]

[ 05-01-2004: Message edited by: Bruce Bowker ]</p>

05-01-2004, 09:57 PM
If I were to bid on either of those vehicles, and I wouldn't bid on anything from anybody with private feedback, I'd show up in person to collect the vehicle,, with cash in hand to pay for it when I got the GOOD title

Basil
05-01-2004, 09:58 PM
I smell a rottin fish! Think we should bring this to EBay's attention - this has to be a scam (both of them)

Basil

VitSport6
05-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi all.
I dont suppose you saw his feedback score....0! oh and he just signed up today!
I wouldnt buy from him for a bit graemlins/cheers.gif

aerog
05-01-2004, 11:32 PM
...and then to raise more questions, in one ad he claims to be in Charlottesville VA (indeed the Mini has VA inspection stickers in the windscreen), but the Corvette pictures obviously aren't in VA. A little research reveals the car was at least advertised at one time by a company called "Image Motors" in Ft Myers FL.


He's made no effort to give his location in the ebay "location" section, but mentions he's been in Charlottesville for 30 years...so how do you explain the "Member since May-01-04 in Canada"?

So...even more research reveals this $6000 Corvette is also advertised online by Image Motors (see above) for over $50,000. Even the sales pitch was lifted from Image's ad (Here's the link (https://www.motorcities.com/contents/04BPL523700663.html))

Something doesn't smell right there, at all!

Bruce Bowker
05-02-2004, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:
I smell a rottin fish! Think we should bring this to EBay's attention - this has to be a scam (both of them)

Basil<hr></blockquote>

Yes. How does one do that?

Just saw the ;price is now up to $11,500 - with a buy now of $6000 images/icons/confused.gif images/icons/confused.gif images/icons/confused.gif images/icons/confused.gif

Listing time is only 3 days which also makes one wonder. And quite a few first time bidders!!!!

[ 05-02-2004: Message edited by: Bruce Bowker ]

[ 05-02-2004: Message edited by: Bruce Bowker ]</p>

Bruce Bowker
05-02-2004, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aerog:
...and then to raise more questions, in one ad he claims to be in Charlottesville VA (indeed the Mini has VA inspection stickers in the windscreen), but the Corvette pictures obviously aren't in VA. A little research reveals the car was at least advertised at one time by a company called "Image Motors" in Ft Myers FL.


He's made no effort to give his location in the ebay "location" section, but mentions he's been in Charlottesville for 30 years...so how do you explain the "Member since May-01-04 in Canada"?

So...even more research reveals this $6000 Corvette is also advertised online by Image Motors (see above) for over $50,000. Even the sales pitch was lifted from Image's ad (Here's the link (https://www.motorcities.com/contents/04BPL523700663.html))

Something doesn't smell right there, at all!<hr></blockquote>


I tried to email 3 different addresses at Image Motor Co. and all 3 came back!!

aerog
05-02-2004, 08:23 AM
There isn't a "buy now" on either car. The "buy now" is what the seller put in as a location so shows up as "buy now".

Pretty sure it's a scam. The ads got posted by a first-time seller with vague and obviously false informaion, and is a short term auction the majority of which is on the weekend.

Bruce Bowker
05-02-2004, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aerog:
There isn't a "buy now" on either car. The "buy now" is what the seller put in as a location so shows up as "buy now".

Pretty sure it's a scam. The ads got posted by a first-time seller with vague and obviously false informaion, and is a short term auction the majority of which is on the weekend.<hr></blockquote>

I did not notice that the Buy Now is the location. Even stranger. He does say in his text though "Buy Now for $6000". I tried to report it to eBay but eBay has you wander through a few pages of probelms and then only gives you an online suggetsion page. That is all I could find.

Basil
05-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Looks like both his ads have been pulled!

aerog
05-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Yup images/icons/grin.gif

Bruce Bowker
05-02-2004, 09:48 AM
HA!!! It worked. images/icons/grin.gif Not easy trying to contact eBay but I finally got to a page I could type the listing numbers. Glad the idiot is gone. I really detest all the fraud and scams on the internet. images/icons/mad.gif

aerog
05-02-2004, 02:11 PM
re: The Mini

The ad's been pulled, but remember it said something about the dealer being located in Charlottesville VA - and as clearly shown in the pictures the car? Well keep that in mind as you read this email I just got from the "seller". Scam? YOU BET! Oh yeah - the email did come from Germany by the way.

Buyer beware! images/icons/grin.gif


From: Thomas Weber thomasw159@yahoo.com
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: Question from eBay Member: 2002 Mini : All Models S

Good evening,

The 2002 Mini : All Models S, is in a perfect condition with only 3119 mileage.It will be shipped from GERMANY and you have to pay the shipping and insurance charges.

VIN Number: WMWRE33442TD51150

The car's title is clear. If necessary ever I will assist you in getting registered help.

Right now it is ready to ship.

The price we hope to obtain is US $ 7,000.00 and if you agree with this price we can start to complete the transaction.

The payment must be done using a money order.

The inspection period for it is 30 days.

If you agree with these terms,let me know and i will be more than glad to start to complete the transaction with you.

Thomas Weber
Thanks!

Bruce Bowker
05-02-2004, 02:30 PM
aerog - I just started a new thread with the same exact message about the Corvette. I emailed him also. I also told him the auction was pulled, he is a scammer and a fraud and I hope he gets arrested.

Bruce Bowker
05-02-2004, 02:31 PM
I wonder if there is a way to report him to yahoo. He would just start a new account I guess so no big deal. Yahoo being his email address. It would be nice to give these guys as much grief as possible.