PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR8 Oil Leaks

chrisc
06-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum and have recently purchased my second TR8 (first one was 5 years ago). This one is relatively low mileage but needs a fair bit of work. I've ordered all the suspension goodies and about to get to work on that aspect of the rolling restoration (great recent thread about that I noticed in the forum as well).

My question for this topic is the car has several substantial oil leaks. What are the primary culprits on an '8 and what can be done with the engine still in the car? I'm thinking (if needed) oil pan and heads, what else? Rear seal has to be an engine out job, what about the front?

Thanks,
Chris

Mickey Richaud
06-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi, Chris, and a belated welcome to the Forum!

I've a TR8 as well, and can point you to a couple of "hot spots".

The valley seals, front and rear on the intake manifold gasket can be culprits. Front seal can be done in situ, but not particularly easily. The oil pump housing is down front, on the passenger side, and there's a sending unit there as well - mine sprung a leak due to improper sealing on my part. Just a matter of tightening things up there.

Keep us posted on your progress and what you find - always good to hear firsthand info.

Mickey

chrisc
06-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks Mickey,

Trying to develop my plan of attack on this. Some documentation that came with the car indicated that a shop had diagnosed a front-seal problem close to 10 years ago, but doubtful the the prior owners ever had that done.

Chris