PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 window door pull/window seal help

ichthos
06-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Even though I am having loads of fun driving my car, I still have a long way to go before my car is back together. My car was in pieces when I bought it and my long range plan is to make sure everything is working and fitting correctly and then dismantle what I need to before painting my car. I have never seen the door pull or seals on my car before. Can someone give me a source or directions on how to install these parts? Is the door pull (vinyl piece that sits on top of the inside of each door) have to be glued in place? Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Kevin

06-02-2007, 04:44 AM
Hey Kev, these things are a bugga-boo to get right. I used 3M black trim adhesive in a tube to affix mine. Once it sets, it's there. More or less. Be prepared to figure out a way to snug the whole thing down tightly, especially on the ends. You ain't got enough patience to hold it by hand and expect it to stay. You need some way to hold it down over night. I would suggest a system of tie-downs and blocks to wrap around the door, clamps, whatever you can figure out, to hold down every conceivable portion of this thing for it to stick to the door. The edges have a tendency to want to lift. At least mine did. You may be lucky and have one that fits perfectly. I didn't, and I had to really do some jury-rigging to get it to stay down. Good luck.

BryanC
06-02-2007, 07:57 AM
So, if I wanted to take mine off for repainting how would I get it off? Brute force? Does that usually destroy the piece or will it come off so that I can glue it back on later?

Thanks,

Bryan

TR6oldtimer
06-02-2007, 08:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Brute force? [/QUOTE]
Yep, then buy a new one. Or just leave it on if it is good, and mask around for painting.

ichthos
06-02-2007, 09:47 AM
OK, so that answers my question on the top door pull. I may just paint the inside of the doors over the summer and then glue it on. The outside scraper seems self explanitory. I still do not understand how the inner scraper and top door pull go on. Do I glue on the top door pull, and then attach the inner scraper with clips? Do the top door pulls normally have to be trimmed?

Kevin

06-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Either way, install the arm rest/door pull pad whenever. They usually don't have to be trimmed. Any extra material should tuck down into the door next to the scraper.

Brosky
06-02-2007, 03:47 PM
The inner goes on with clips as well. Better to install prior to glass, unless you have tool that pulls clips up into place.