PDA

View Full Version : Can you ID this Top & for what models

tomgt6
06-01-2007, 08:36 AM
I bought a top the other day for my mk1 spitfire but relized that it is for a spitfire but not a mk1. The seller didn't know for sure and I took a chance. So does anyone here know what model this would work on. It has 4 snaps per side, the
mk1 only has 3. There is no spot for the bar along the back to slide in like a mk1. But it does look like there is a couple of hole for something to be put on. The front is not finished.

I tryed it on the car and it would fit if I made modifications to the snaps and some other stuff so I know it is for a spitfire, just not the mk1. I don't know much about the other years so any help with the id of this top would be great.

I will try and upload a couple pictures to help. Thanks. Tom

Andrew Mace
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
That looks to be a Mk3 Spitfire 1967-69 top; these cars had a folding top as opposed to the earlier "build it yourself" Spitfire top. The 1970 top was the same shape but had a zipout rear window.

Brosky
06-01-2007, 10:07 PM
It looks like a top that was advertised some months ago to fit a TR6.

Andrew Mace
06-02-2007, 08:18 PM
...except that it appears to be shaped for rounded door glass, which the earlier Spitfires had. (Perhaps the ad was in error?)

DNK
06-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Has a MGB look to it.

NutmegCT
06-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Not that I'm anywhere near the knowledge base of you other guys ... but that sure looks like the top for my (former) 1976 MGB.

Is there a flat metal "clip" about 1.25 inches wide under that vinyl tab sticking down on the right (and left) side?

Tom

tomgt6
06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
It fits the frame of my 63 spitfire perfect. The back has 4 snaps about 2 ft of smooth area. Looks like a couple of very small holes in this smooth area, like a bar or something may attach behind. Around the doors looks like it would fit the spitfire as well. The front is not finished but I am told this wasn't uncommon for a top back in the sixties and seventys. It is a Amco top. It said it was for a spitfire, but not a model or year. The Amco part number is 1232. I can't seem to find anything on the net that helps with this. I would say it is for a spitfire and Nigel from spitbits thought maybe a mk3 as well. But it could be for a mk 4. But he didn't get to see a picture.

Tom, There is no metal clip hanging down.

Any help would be great. I would like to put it back up for sale but need to figure out what it is for. Thanks. Tom

Andrew Mace
06-09-2007, 09:16 AM
...The Amco part number is 1232. I can't seem to find anything on the net that helps with this. I would say it is for a spitfire and Nigel from spitbits thought maybe a mk3 as well. But it could be for a mk 4. But he didn't get to see a picture.... Can't be a MkIV, since those had very squared-off door windows, the shape of which is reflected in the top. I'm 99.44% sure (as I noted previously) that it's a Mk3 Spitfire top (not 1970, as they had zip-out windows). I'll even send you $5.00 if I'm proven wrong. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif Seriously, though, I can send you a Word document: an OCR scan of the original AMCO installation instructions for this very top (ok, they came out of a box with a WHITE top, but...).

tomgt6
06-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Thank you everyone for the help. Tom