PDA

View Full Version : This can't be right !

roofman
05-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Following up on my " funny feeling in steering " post.
I removed the steering wheel and hub and got out my Bentley manual.
I can grab the steering shaft where the steering wheel hub attaches and move the shaft in and out over 1/4 inch. The entire shaft moves in and out of the steering box.
In the firewall area where the shaft comes thru, the saftey clamp is 1/2 inch away from the firewall, and some type of white bushing material is exposed and loose from the cut out in the firewall, like it doesn't fit.
The bently shows the clamp directly up against the firewall, not 1/2 inch away.
There is also a little side to side play in the shaft.
This can't be right, is it?

DougF
05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I had a problem with my steering wheel moving in and out. It turned out being the clamp at the steering rack needed tightened.

TRopic6
05-31-2007, 11:50 AM
The lower (and upper) steering column bearing uses a thin white plastic bushing for the inner sleeve. Could it have worked its way out of the bearing and slid down the steering shaft?

Jeff
74 TR6 CF13816U

roofman
05-31-2007, 03:36 PM
This all started when the stupid after market battery cutoff switch with the shut off knob broke off and got caught in my steering right by the flexible connector.

Brosky
05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Unless you went gorilla on it, I can't see how that would drop a bushing out of the top of the shaft or cause the bottom to come loose at the rack.

Check all fittings, starting at the rack to insure everything is seated properly and tight, working your way back up to that bushing and clamp.

Tosh
05-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Yea.

That white bush should be up inside the column.
1/4" back and forth movement on the shaft sounds like a loose spline clamp somewhere from the rack to the flex coupling and the sliding joint.

Those clamps need to be tre tight.

Best,

roofman
06-01-2007, 04:43 PM
https://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/roofmeister/P1040137.jpg

Here is a picture where the steering shaft comes through the firewall. I loosened the saftey clamp and moved it about 1/4 inch toward the firewall, and that stopped the in and out play. But I still am not sure about the white ( partially painted black) stuff next to the clamp. Is that supposed to fit snugly in the firewall cutout? Is it supposed to be on the other side of the firewall? Its plastic or nylon or something and a piece is peeling off at the top. What do you guys think?

DrEntropy
06-01-2007, 04:54 PM
I think your lower bushing is trash and needs R&R.

TR6oldtimer
06-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey partner, what does it look like on the other side? Had to fix mine.

roofman
06-04-2007, 01:42 PM
From the "other side" everything looks good, the bracket is there and not broken. The "white bushing" in the photo has been like that since I bought the car based on the fact it is black painted like all the surrounding stuff. If it supposed to be inside the firewall, how far? Is it supposed to be up against the inside of the firewall or in the hole cut in the firewall? If inside what does it fit into?
Anyone have a picture of the area to compare?
After moving the clamp, taking off the steering wheel etc. I also noticed I have play in my aftermarket steering wheel hub, and a small amount of aluminum shavings dust accumulated by the horn ring. I can grab the hub and jiggle it. Ever hear of a worn out hub?
Should the saftey clamp be all the way up to the cutout in the firewall?

TR6oldtimer
06-04-2007, 02:44 PM
The number 1 arrow points to a nylon bush between the steering shaft housing and the steering shaft. Number three arrow points to the block that you have already adjusted to take the end play out of the steering shaft.

Number 2 arrow points to a foam gasket that fits behind the firewall to seal the opening. What you see is what is left of the original.

roofman
06-04-2007, 03:07 PM
I tried to move the bushing #1 with a screwdriver and no go. So this entire bushing is supposed to be on the other side of the firewall?

TR6oldtimer
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Nope. Arrow one points to a nylon bush that provides the clamp in front of it a bearing surface.

If your steering wheel no longer moves in and out, and it turns easily, then you setup is fine, other then being a little off center.

All that is missing is the foam gasket (3) that goes behind the firewall and seals the hole.

roofman
06-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!