PDA

View Full Version : New Truck

Bret
04-15-2004, 11:34 AM
OK donít shoot me all you anti-SUV/Truck folks in BFC land. But I just purchased a new (used) 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4. She has everything I need (and a few items I really donít) Ė lots of bells & whistles, doodads & whatnot. Plenty of room for all my work tools & test equipment, and still able to handle 5 adults comfortably.

https://home.earthlink.net/~bretduff/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/f150supercrew.jpg

The truck only has 28,000 miles on it and by the looks guy that owned it was really - shall I say - diligent when it came to babying this truck. Heck you can still clearly see the assembly line markings underneath. This truck probably never saw dirt or gravel road in its short life. Not to worry, as Iíll be rectifying that on todayís trip to Yuma.

Sheíll be missed but now I got to get rid of my Intrepid that has (cramped as she was) served me so well.
graemlins/cheers.gif

Sherlock
04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Don't apologize Bret...

These big trucks have their place. I'm not much of a fan of Ford trucks, but have always admired the Chev/GMC Suburban or an International Travelall. I grew up in a family that towed a travel trailer around the mountains for vacations, and for that you need a big vehicle. For most of my growing this a 1978 Chev Impala wagon (350 engine, I think the 305 was most common) towing a 1970's 15" travel trailer, and that Impala was the only family vehicle we owned. But while we were always towing with the car, I always wondered why dad never purchased a Suburban, then again I didn't pay to fill up the family vehicle either...

I credit him (or curse him?) for my love of station wagons.

Mickey Richaud
04-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Bret -

Looks like you scored! I've got a '96 F150 regular cab 4X4. 120,000 miles and going strong. Been good to me, and can't imagine not having one. The only thing I wish it had was a back seat. When it's time to replace it, will probably downsize to Sportrack, or something like it. Just so it will pull the trailer with TR3 or MGB.

MattP
04-15-2004, 04:09 PM
No worries, I am one of the first to usually bash the SUV's, but only when not needed. You mention all your tools and test equipment, so you seem to have a need. I only laugh at those like the guy I work with who commutes 40mi a day one way in his Dodge Pickup with the pristene bed. Then whines about how much gas is costing him.

Baxter
04-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah, there's a big difference between the folks who need a truck/SUV for towing things, hauling things, work, or whatever, and the parking lot commandos who just want to be able to look down on everyone else with some misguided sense of smugness.

My father-in-law and father both have trucks. Both need 'em, and both use 'em. Good for them. For me, I have a wagon, which meets my hauling needs, for now, and I'm happy because the ride, handling and economy are WAY better than a truck or SUV.

But someday, I just may need a truck. I'm not a fan of them, but when that day comes, I'll buy one without losing a minute's sleep.

tony barnhill
04-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey, I'm with you, buddy! We're also looking for a fullsize, extended cab, 3rd door, big V8 pickup! You did good!

Matthew E. Herd
04-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Most SUV's today are pretty worthless, however. They're just bigger minivans for the most part. In my family we use our trucks, however, have no desire for SUV's. We used to own a Jeep Cherokee, however, that is the exception to the rule in my opinion. A true utility vehicle!

78Z
04-16-2004, 12:21 AM
We had a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that my wife insisted on getting. Its real truck alright but hopeless as a sedan replacement.

Bruce Bowker
04-16-2004, 03:51 AM
Ford is owned by Jaguar isn't it??? images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif