PDA

View Full Version : Playstation games

catfood
04-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Well it looks like my son has talked us into getting a Playstation 2 for his birthday. So can anybody recommend any good driving games. For my son, who is quite young, I'd be looking for something with a cartoon feel that doesn't involve violence to pedestrians!!! For me (yes, I admit it I want one too) I'd like a game that lets me have a chance at driving some of those classic cars of the 50s and 60s. Does such a game exist?

I'd also like to hear of any other games that might be suitable and entertaining for a seven year old.

Suggestions please...

Baxter
04-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Hands down, no contest, the best driving game for the Playstation is GranTurismo. Simply the best physics, the most realistic, it's really something.
Gran Turismo 2 had more classics than 3 (A-spec), but it looks like GT4 will shift that back a bit, and it'll be out soon. Most of the classics get clocked pretty bad, but there are exceptions. I REALLY liked my Lotus Europa in GT2, but it took me forever to sort out the handling. My six-year-old enjoys the simple circle tracks, with the really fast cars, so we both play.

Other than that, it's a thin field. Most of them are pretty violent, or are pale imitators of GranTurismo.

Simpsons Road Rage is kinda fun. But does involve (cartoon) violence to pedestrians and some of the language is iffy. May want to rent it and try it out.

Watch the ratings. Some of these games are REALLY horrific.

Steve
04-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi Steve,

There are a few kid-friendly games out there that I could recommend for James.......one of these would be "Spiro The Dragon", rather cute actually, and you might want to consider the Harry Potter games.

Okay, for racing, I echo the Gran Turismo games.....great action. You might also want to find the game "Mille Miglia"......in which you can drive the classic sports-racers of the fifties and sixties. Definitely right up your street! Only available that side of the pond, not here in the US of A. Trouble is, these things can be so addictive you might not want to get off the machine until you finish the race. images/icons/grin.gif

Say "Hi" the family for me. Let us know what you pick up.

[ 04-06-2004: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>

78Z
04-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Don't get him Grand Theft Auto - its piles of fun but definitly not for a seven year old.

Matthew E. Herd
04-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Gran Tourismo 2 is hands down my favorite (the first one isn't bad either). I rarely play video games (as I get impatient when I can't beat them and I'm not particularly fond of computers for a 20 yr. old engineering student who goes to a very computer oriented school). At any rate, GT2 has mini's which are by far my favorite!

Baxter
04-05-2004, 10:59 PM
GT3 (A spec) also has Minis.

GT2 had an MGF, but it was a dog, I'm sorry to say.

Both 2 and 3 have some nice Lotuses, but 3 only has new ones. 2 had a nice Elan and Europa.

No Triumphs.

2 had a DB5 Aston Martin. Not very good, but fun to drive.

Both have good Cobras. (Hey, it's AC, that's British!)

Nice assortment of vintage Japanese stuff, including a giant-killer 510 sedan, and the gorgeous Toyota s2000 (am I getting the model number wrong? It's late).

Jon12
04-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Lol, your son may want grand theft auto but it is a very violent game which involves hookers, killing and drugs. Myself being 19 I really enjoyed it.

gt2 = 450 cars, gt3= 150, for a 7 year old, I'd go with gt3(its far easier to play), gt2 is pretty cumbersome, all the gt games are a steep learning curve though. Gt4 should have the best of both worlds, i cant wait for it to come out.

Bret
04-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Hey Steve,

Hmmm? As it turns out I am traveling at the moment with my two teenage sons. So I asked them for their advice.

For playstation they recommend Crash Bandicoot (spelling?) more of an adventure game according to my sons but there are a few driving levels. Also noted that this is kind of an old game and might not be available anymore so check around for either used or stores that stock older games.

There is also a game called Loony Toons Racing. In case you don’t know Loony Toons is Baby Bugs Bunny & his buddies. But my sons & I can’t recall anymore than that. They told me that the neighbor’s teenage daughter has one so we’ll ask when we get home. No problem getting them to volunteer to go over and ask as they both really like her.
images/icons/wink.gif
Ahh youth...

Also worth noting is that Nintendo has several Mario Brothers games available your son would like but they don’t think they make them for Playstations.

Anyway, we’ll up date or recommendations after we get home.

graemlins/cheers.gif

[ 04-05-2004: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

William
04-06-2004, 11:35 AM
For racing racing, you can't go too far wrong with any of the Gran Turismo games, although Jon12 is right in saying that GT2 is kinda cumbersome (they all are, come to think of it). EA Sports NASCAR games offer some good clean racing action, as do their F1 series. My only issue with the F1 game that I had is EA's stupid little driving test "feature", which was very difficult to pass. Problem was, you had to pass all of them before you could race. At least the Gran Turismo tests were easy to get a pass on, if not a gold award. For rally fans, Colin McRae series is good, as is WRC.
-William (whose PS2 is used mainly to watch DVDs anyway!)

mongoose
04-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Put me down for a vote to GranTurismo 1-3. I ve had them for a long time (GT3 since the release date back in '00, I think) and I still put GT3 in fairly often.
Another one (or 3) to check out would be the Need for Speed series if available there in the UK. No classics, but alot of exotics.
Something your 7yo might like is an older game called Gadget Racers. Cartoonish and cute aimed at putting "gadgets" on your car - wings, floats, rockets, etc. Again, that's an unknown if it's available in the UK.

BuddyJ
04-07-2004, 12:44 AM
I've been totally loving GT3. My TVR Tuscan is totally built, as well as my Mini and both Corollas. They game is rather heavy on modern Japanese cars, but it's still quite enjoyalbe and has lots of replay value.

When GT4 comes out in July I'll probably become a recluse for a week. The list of cars in that game is unimaginable and the graphics are photorealistic. I can't wait.

mongoose
04-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Take a look at "Anyone for some GT3 fun" in the freeforall section.

waltesefalcon
04-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Steve,

Do you know of any place where you can get Mille Miglia in the states?

Cheers, graemlins/thirsty.gif graemlins/driving.gif
Walter

mongoose
04-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Walt, even if you could find Mille Miglia in the states, because it's a UK game, you wouldn't be able to play it on your North American PS2 without modifications. Bummer, eh? I think it sounds like a cool game.

CDK
04-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Walt, give a search for Rally Trophy it is a PC game But I am hooked on it. Our favorite cars are available, many are add-ons as the game has a lot of items that you can edit. If you are interested in learning more send me a note.
CDK

waltesefalcon
04-09-2004, 09:39 AM
mongoose,

Why can't you play a British game on your playstation 2 but you can play Japanese games? Just curious cause I have a freaky anime orinted friend who imports about 5 japanese games a month. He is even taking Japanese so he can learn what they are saying in the games.

Walter

mongoose
04-09-2004, 02:30 PM
He may have modified it. It involves opening it up and doing some fine soldering. There's a bunch of sites that have info on modifying consoles to play copied games and games from other regions. At least that's what it was like with original PSx. I'm pretty sure PS2 is the same. There are 3 different regions I'm aware of: North America (if it's not segregated to US & Canada), Europe - which is PAL, I believe, and Japan.
I haven't done anything to my PS2, but my PSX has been modded to play copies and imports. Some games won't play on a modded system.

William
04-09-2004, 07:42 PM
You have to open it up. This of course invalidates the warranty, but if you have an older PS2 then it's most likely out of warranty anyway. You can get them to play PAL DVDs too, which I am sorta interested in but too cheap to do.
-Wm.

TR7/8 TPI
04-11-2004, 07:35 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Baxter:
[QB]Hands down, no contest, the best driving game for the Playstation is GranTurismo. Simply the best physics, the most realistic, it's really something.QB]<hr></blockquote>

I agree that the physics in the GT series are great except for one thing. Apparently, to make it easier, all the cars have an incredible amount of understeer. This is especially the case in GT3. You will come up to a turn, slow and try to turn and the front end acts like it is riding on jelly. I know that understeer in real life is safer but this is just a ridiculous amount of understeer in the game and no car in real life I have driven acts like the cars in this game except for maybe a 2 generation supra or a 280Z or 1st generation 300ZX.

I hope GT4 will remedy this fiction.

mongoose
04-11-2004, 08:54 PM
That, and the fact that the cars won't lean past 30 degrees - like flyin' through the air over a rally jump.
I'd love to see some crashes, but the rumored reason for the first three in the sreies was that the car manufacturers didn't want their likenesses being crunched.

Baxter
04-11-2004, 09:25 PM
TR, that's because most people don't have any concept of oversteer whatsoever. The whole notion of car balance is foreign to them. The nice thing about the GT games is you can make it oversteer. You can set 'em up any way you want.
Also, let off the throttle going into the turn. It shifts the weight and allows the rear to come out a bit (just like in real life).

TR7/8 TPI
04-11-2004, 09:55 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Baxter:
TR, that's because most people don't have any concept of oversteer whatsoever. The whole notion of car balance is foreign to them. The nice thing about the GT games is you can make it oversteer. You can set 'em up any way you want.
Also, let off the throttle going into the turn. It shifts the weight and allows the rear to come out a bit (just like in real life).<hr></blockquote>

My problem with the game is that making a car oversteer is WAY more difficult than making it understeer. I just think that the game should be like in real life. If you are going 150mph and jerk the wheel to one side, the front end is going to be passed by the rear end. In the game this will just result in the front end SLOWLY heading towards the wall. In real life, the car would swap ends instantly and proceed to spin and flip, once hitting a wall, violently.

All I am saying is the game is WAY too forgiving where cars in real life would not be. They call it a real driving simulator...............I wish it were!

Baxter
04-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Play around with the TVRs in GT2. They're squirrelly buggers. The Loti and Lancia Stratos seem to like to swap ends too. I agree with you generally though, especially in regards to GT3. Until I figured out it I needed to induce some trailing throttle oversteer, I just couldn't get anything to turn.

TR7/8 TPI
04-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Well, "trailing throttle oversteer", is just engine braking, ie. using the engine's compression on decelleration to slow the rear wheels. Still the fact remains that the physics, in this regard, are totally unrealistic in GT3! The guys that make this game need to actually get in and drive the cars on a track and see how they handle. Street cars and race cars alike. Holding a microphone at the exhaust and recording the sound does not make a realistic driving simulator.

Dont get me wrong, I love the game and it is the ONLY reason I bought a PS2 but comon, get it right for once.

waltesefalcon
04-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Oh my god Tr7 what are you talking about a realistic driving game where the cars drive and react almost like the actual cars they represent? This can't be. I love the GT series but lets face the facts here these games are made to be fun for guys who kow little or nothing about actual cars. This can be seen by looking at the Japanese cars and how great even a civic can be made to race in the game. If the games didn't coddle people who think the Civic they have in real life is hot, then sales would drop.

Walter

TR7/8 TPI
04-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Walter,

Touché

waltesefalcon
04-12-2004, 12:19 AM
As an addendum to my last post, my poke at Japanese cars comes from my super nice roadrunner being outrun by a cheesy little civic of one of my OSU friends in a head to head race. Never seen a civic go so fast or a road runner that was so slow.

Walter

P.S. his civic also outran my cobra and my racing modified 67 corvette, it was only silenced by my awesome cobra daytone coupe.

William
04-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Part of the problem with the GT games is the fact that many, if not most, of us use the little DualShock controller to drive. I've never figgered out how to get a car to oversteer consistently with that thing. I drive Grand Prix Legends on my computer, with a wheel and pedal setup (a cheap one at that), and find the cars much easier to control than those in GT3.

And you're right about some cars seeming too good to be true, and some cars hobbled. All the muscle cars in GT2 were absolute dogs, unless you completely specced them up and spend lots of time setting up suspensions and gearing. Whereas just spending all your money on all the top line stuff for a Civic or something would make it world class.

-William

Izual Angel
04-15-2004, 09:41 PM
My complaint about GT3 is the mods. You add 100 HP to your Fiat Coupe and it's STILL slow. They could be a bit more realistic in that respect.

BTW - My MotorSport Elise is 133t.

If you get bored, try "The Getaway". There are some badass cars in that one. While this game is DEFINITELY not for a 7 year old, I love it.

[ 04-15-2004: Message edited by: Izual Angel ]</p>

Jon12
04-15-2004, 11:53 PM
I downloaded "Toca racing" by codemasters for pc a few days ago. The physics are great and they have some great tracks. The car will catch and hold an edge and in the final release the AI drivers will get ****ed when you run them off the road and retaliate. I think they finally made a game for people interested in something realistic and I'll be ordering the game soon. I think it's out for pc and xbox.

78Z
04-16-2004, 09:30 AM
If anyone wants a more realistic racing game try Live For Speed on PC. You can download a demo and its quite good although hard to control at first.

William
04-16-2004, 11:01 PM
I've been waiting to see the new TOCA game for the PS2 for a while now-I have the other two for the original Playstation, and they were fun. Is the new Colin still available?

Another driving game I've been curious to try, but don't think it was ever available in an American market version, was Spirit of Speed 1937. Apparently the physics were awful (but fixable), and more than anything I wanted to drive an Auto Union at Brooklands and Mehalla. Oddly, I've driven both tracks in GPL...

-William