PDA

View Full Version : Removing driveshaft from offset sphere joint.

BritCarFan
05-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Hello all Miniacs,

The engine removal process on the Mayfair is going at a pace. The last thing I have to do is to remove the two driveshafts from the differential. My mini is equipped with the offset sphere joints which require a special method of removal. The old faithful Haynes manual describes this method, but I am wondering if anybody has done this before.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

dklawson
05-27-2007, 11:06 PM
I think what you're describing are the inner CV joints commonly called "pot joints". I'm assuming this is a rod-change gearbox.

There are special tools but I believe the common method is to improvise by placing a crow-bar between the inner side of the joint and the gearbox and prying. I haven't done this myself as my car has the older style Yoke-Type u-joints on the inboard end.

BritCarFan
06-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Update:

Just disconnected the driveshafts from the differential by using a pry bar between the transmission housing and the metal part of the pot joint. They popped right out. Haynes tells you to remove the upper ball joint and the tie-rod end, but only removing the upper ball joint will do just fine.

Tomorrow is the "engine out" day.