View Full Version : Rear suspension questions

05-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Having just completed my front suspension rebuild, the logical step for me to take next is to rebuild the rear suspension! My initial thought is "oh, this should be a lot easier because there are less parts" but I know I'm being naive. So, just how tough is it to do? I noticed in looking at my rear suspension that the outer bracket on one side is angled upwards and the outer on the other side is angled downwards. A PO mix-up, or an alignment technique? I also noticed that the portion of the frame that the trailing arm attaches to on the L side has been reinforced with a bracket that looks like this:
Is this a common and reliable repair? I noticed that there is rust at the outer edge of the frame at this repair spot /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cryin.gif . Can this be reliably repaired or should I sell my wife's and my wedding rings (since the following action would render them no longer needed) and use the money to buy a new frame from Ratco?

05-19-2007, 06:00 AM
It appears to me that the "add on bracket" is some type of repair to the frame. Is it welded to the original frame? On one of my 6's I had both of the frame pieces where the trailing arms mount replaced. I don't know about having it done with the body in place. My body was off at the time.

The U shaped brackets with either 1,2 or 3 notches can be in any position and combination to adjust for rear camber. Since I did mine, Good Parts started offering an adjustable mount for the rear trailing arms. I wish I had them when I did mine because finding a good combination with the notched brackets is a time consuming project. If you go the notched route, make sure you have the springs you want because if you change springs, your rear camber will change also.

05-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Here is the Buckeye guide to rear suspension geometery and the T/A brackets:

https://web.archive.org/web/2003063014451...AdjRS/AdjRS.htm (https://web.archive.org/web/20030630144518/www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Suspension/AdjRS/AdjRS.htm)

Hope that helps.


05-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Sounds like a very common frame repair - outriggers.

They're the boxed piece that the trailing arm brackets bolt through, and yours must have had a patch panel attached as a temporary repair. You can buy new replacement parts and weld them in but best done on a jig with the body removed.
Often, once you get the outriggers removed, you will find more rust at the t-shirt area (cricuform.)

No, it's not a call to Ratco for a new frame. Just a repair. Do both sides. See Moss p/n 850-390, 850-710, 850-720.