PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Lotus Europa S2... Am I nuts!!

RobT
05-16-2007, 01:30 PM
So the TR250 isn't keeping me busy enough and I need more hassle and frustration in my life....so recently started thinking about buying a Lotus Europa to add to the garage. I know of a Series 2 for sale in good condition for what seems a reasonable price. These have the Renault engine, and not the Ford TC.

So am I nuts? Are these cars really just a money pit? Anyone got an opinion (silly question knowing this crowd)?

I'm going to post this on the Lotus forum also, although that seems to be less visited than this area.

TIA.

Rob.

Geo Hahn
05-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I assume you have tried one on for size?

I met a fellow at the Las Cruces British Car Days who was almost born in a Europa. It was a winter night and the Lotus was the only car that would start for the urgent trip to the hospital. His Dad never parted with that Europa and now the son has it and brought it to the show.

To answer your question... yes, of course you are nutz.

DNK
05-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Go for it.If you don't like the power palant, stick a Formula
Ford motor in it.

JKB1957
05-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Well let's see. It's a Lotus, it's made out of fibreglass, and it has a french made engine and trans. Sounds like a perfectly good decision to me.

Twosheds
05-16-2007, 03:43 PM
How tall are you?

And what size shoe do you wear?

DrEntropy
05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Good questions, John!

Dunno which of the motoring journalists it was said:

"You don't get into a Lotus so much as you put it ON, kind of like a pair of pantyhose."

RobT
05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Well let's see. It's a Lotus, it's made out of fibreglass, and it has a french made engine and trans. Sounds like a perfectly good decision to me.

And they were built by British car workers in the 70's. So what could possibly go wrong!

How tall are you?

And what size shoe do you wear?

A skinny 6ft, size US11 clogs. I forget my inside seam. Are they really that tight? I've only been up close to the later models. The S2 I don't think has the adjustable seat.

Maybe I am nuts?

Rob.

DrEntropy
05-16-2007, 04:30 PM
...better drive one, Rob. The shoe size indicates you could cover all three pedals with one foot if you're not careful.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Twosheds
05-16-2007, 04:37 PM
A skinny 6ft, size US11 clogs. I forget my inside seam. Are they really that tight? I've only been up close to the later models. The S2 I don't think has the adjustable seat.

Maybe I am nuts?

Rob.

My 6'2" friend bought an S2 without sitting in it first. Had to sell it. I had to drive it barefoot, and I wear size 8 1/2.

DrEntropy
05-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm perfectly at home in one, but I'm 5'10" at 165 soakin' wet and have size 7-1/2 feet. Easier to heel-n-toe with your 11's tho, Rob! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

PC
05-16-2007, 04:52 PM
...So am I nuts? Are these cars really just a money pit? Anyone got an opinion (silly question knowing this crowd)?... Yes.
Every car worth driving is.
Around here? Naw. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

As Nike says, “Just Do It!”

....If you don't like the power palant, stick a Formula
Ford motor in it. Or a Cosworth!

PC.

05-16-2007, 05:05 PM
My buddy restored a Europa, he's 6'2". He likes it. Notice I said "likes". I drove the darn thing. Like driving a go-kart. I found it most interesting that the engine is the frame.

Tinster
05-16-2007, 05:11 PM
5'-9", size 8 1/2 shoe, a lean and mean 140 pounds
at age 26 , full of myself driving an almost new
red rocket 'Ropa ..............

wow, those were the days of enjoying the tight fit
of that sexy machine just wrapped itself all around
me like a ..... whoa! -memories.

I say trim yer hair real short, get a pair of flip
flops and trim the sides a bit, put on yer
cut-off jeans shorts and go babe trolling!

Ain't nuthin' much sweeter in this world. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

d

05-16-2007, 05:21 PM
go babe trolling!

Problem is, if you end up catching a babe and get in the mood, you will never get out of the Lotus.

Tinster
05-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Now Bill, I can't say I recall that being
a problem. Lava lamps and water beds- remember them?

d

DrEntropy
05-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Or have need of the services of a good chiropractor.

05-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Lava lamps

Still got mine. And, the beaded curtain for the bedroom door. 'cept now it's over a guest bedroom.

Dale, how was the cruise?? Ya all rested?

heliguy
05-16-2007, 06:33 PM
What did my Lotus owning friend tell me it stood for...............Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious!

But it does corner like a snake on sandpaper........

Bugeye58
05-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Let's see. No visibility, frog motor, and you are eye level with most vehicles' rocker panels. I loved mine, but it had a twink in it.
By all means, go for it!
Jeff

DrEntropy
05-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Twink engine is a GOOD THING!!!

And L-O-T-U-S around here has always stood for:

"Leaks Oil Tremendously Under Stress"!!

guzzul
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
So am I nuts? If so, you have come to the right asylum.

I am on the hunt for a later-model Esprit. Probably equally crazy. But they are drop-dead gorgeous, and a whole lot quicker than a Spitfire.

Sometimes there are itches that just must be scratched.

Brosky
05-16-2007, 08:38 PM
We're all a little nuts. How else would we all get along so well?

karls59tr
05-16-2007, 10:57 PM
I'd love a Lotus but my TR3 has more leg room.

Twosheds
05-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I'd love a Lotus but my TR3 has more leg room.

TR3 and Europa cockpits are just about opposites. In a TR3 you are out in the open and I felt confined in the Europa.

Don't get me wrong, I think a Europa is a cool car, but the TR3 is more my cup of tea.

RobT
05-17-2007, 11:30 AM
So the message I'm getting is that, yes indeed, I am nuts, but I'm in good company, so thats O.K. and I should just revel in the crazyness.

I spoke to the current owner last night. He is 6'1" and says its no proble once you're in the car, just getting in and out requires flexible joints. He said "those short guys have it easy".

I'll let you know how things go. It really is a cool car.

Rob.