PDA

View Full Version : Bug Loco

coldplugs
01-27-2004, 12:10 AM
We were pitching the Christmas cards and I scanned this one figuring it might be interesting to some folks here. (Besides, it's an excuse for a really wierd subject line...)

It's a Bugatti passenger train from 1933, although it looks more modern to me. The buffers look like battering rams.

https://www.coldplugs.com/images/bugtrain.jpg

78Z
01-27-2004, 01:02 AM
seperated at birth? images/icons/grin.gif

https://www.dyna.co.za/cars/DKW_51_Schnelllaster_Silver_sf1.jpg

Sherlock
01-27-2004, 01:06 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> coldplugs said: We were pitching the Christmas cards...
<hr></blockquote>

You actually threw out the Christmas cards this soon? images/icons/grin.gif You musn't be a true pack rat... a true pack rat would have put them in the box and stored them in the closet for 10 years... images/icons/grin.gif

Seriously, neat picture! It's amazing what other products many car companies have been involved with.

Sherlock
01-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Nice DKW Van! A friend of mine has a DKW van exactly like that only the panel version, but his van needs a wee bit more work to look as nice as that.

Basil
01-27-2004, 01:18 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 78Z:
seperated at birth? images/icons/grin.gif

<hr></blockquote>

Looks like a toaster on wheels! graemlins/crazyeyes.gif
Basil

aeronca65t
01-27-2004, 08:44 AM
I suspect that John already knows this, but those Bugatti rail cars were self propelled (like subway cars). They used multiples of the classic straight eight Bug engines (like in a Bugatti Royale). After being scrapped, many were scavenged for car engines. Also, since the trains were made later than the cars, many folks were still able to buy automotive resto-parts via the train manufacturer.
You have to love the Art-Deco period of styling....*everthing* looked like a toaster back then (and I just noticed that my modern toaster is white and squared-off....just like my modern StepVan).

racing girl
01-27-2004, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by coldplugs:
We were pitching the Christmas cards...
<hr></blockquote>

So you're telling me that someone sent you a picture of a 1933 Bugatti train as a Christmas card?? Could have at least put some snow on it couldn't they???, maybe a holly wreath hanging off those buffers?, reindeer attached to the front??

RG graemlins/england.gif

Tiger
01-29-2004, 05:18 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by coldplugs:
It's a Bugatti passenger train from 1933, although it looks more modern to me. The buffers look like battering rams.<hr></blockquote>

Or like 125mm cannons to clear the track of obstructions. graemlins/devilgrin.gif

William
01-29-2004, 09:31 PM
The replica of the Esdairs Royale roadster is powered by an ex-rail Bugatti motor. Or the block of one, at least.
-William