PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Busy day... The TR8 Arrived!

SCguy
05-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Busy day...

I got the call that the TR8 arrived yesterday. Picked it up last night, smogged it this morning, registered it and ordered a new steeering column bushing this afternoon (sure to be a PITA). You got love it! ! Its official!

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/SCgrad/IMG_4277.jpg
At home in my driveway.
https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/SCgrad/IMG_4279.jpg
tenses moments waiting to see if I pass smog
https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/SCgrad/IMG_4282.jpg
at the DMV, distracted by the cutie doing my paper work

Brosky
05-09-2007, 08:59 PM
S-W-E-E-T!!!

Oh yeah, the car in the picture is nice too!

Good luck,

PR

StagByTriumph
05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow! And factory fresh!!!

Looks nice with wires!

So where can I order one??

Mickey Richaud
05-09-2007, 09:21 PM
So, first impressions?

kc_doyle
05-09-2007, 10:11 PM
really looks good. Car too..

PATR8
05-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Great looking car, I bet if they looked that good fresh from the factory they would have sold tons more. I am so jealous.... back to the paint shop for mine sooon but I doubt I will ever ave mine look that good

John_Mc
05-09-2007, 10:57 PM
So, did you ask her if she wanted to go for a spin??

tdskip
05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Awesome!

So how does she drive Larry?!?!?!

mrv8q
05-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Congratulations, Larry, that's a beautiful car; much nicer than the silver SoCal one! How close or far was the 8 from not passing? I know I always had my fingers crossed getting my Audi V8 smogged... Drive her in good health, as my dad says!

tr8todd
05-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Congrats on your entry into the fellowship. You will soon find that the TR8 guys are tight knit bunch. We pride ourselfs on being regular guys who are always ready to lend a hand. The steering column bushing is no big deal. Remove the top bolt on the top steering knuckle in the engine bay and pry apart with a fat screwdriver. Go under the dash and remove the top retaining clamp by the plastic column surround. Pull the whole wheel and column straight out. The old bushing should fall right out. Heat the new one slowly with a torch or boil it in some water in the microwave. If you use a torch, be very careful. The melt easy! Squeeze the top part into place and then press the rest in with a blunt slotted screwdriver. Reassemble. The toughest part will be realigning the splines on the column and the knuckle so that the bolt can be reinserted. It goes faster with two people, but can be done with one. I changed out one over the weekend. I asked my wife to ome out and give me a hand. I actually finished it before she got out to the garage. It took about 15 minutes, but everything went as it should, and I've done dozens of them before.

NickMorgan
05-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Larry,
That looks like a great car. I can just imagine you cruising around CA. You lucky guy.
Nick

YankeeTR
05-10-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm soooo glad I don't have to deal with all of that smog BS here in the northwoods of Wisconsin...but our dairy cattle DO need catalytic converters...

Cheapsnake
05-11-2007, 08:40 AM
If they had cuties like that in all smog stations I'd be lobbying for a smog law in WI too. NICE 8 SC! Let's hear all about it, including driving impressions.

Tom

Mickey Richaud
05-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Larry...?

Must be busy DRIVING it!

C'mon, Man, let's hear whatcha think about it!

Mickey

SCguy
05-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Actually I've been doing more cleaning than driving. I'm waiting to get my new steering column bushing (should arrive today) as driving it to the DMV without one was a little nerve racking over bumps.

Intital reactions... the brakes are soft, the suspension is soft. No suprises, I called TSI yesterday. The engine runs great and I've yet to find anything that resembles rust or any kind of body work. The car is very solid unlike the TR8 I rode in a few weeks ago.

mrv8q
05-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Larry, you're a busy guy! How's the '4 coming along? I think on your last post it was in for paint?

Best, Kevin

tr6_easyrider
05-11-2007, 11:48 PM
ConGrats Larry, Simply Beautiful........
Joe