PDA

View Full Version : A call from my son.....

Steve
05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Had a call from my youngest this afternoon, asking whether I had heard of a motorcyle brand called BSA! Of course I told him what I knew, and it turns out that he was having a conversation with a workmate, and BSA came up.

I am pleasantly surprised at the interest that some youngsters show in the old machines.....he's nineteen.

tony barnhill
05-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Was he hinting?

drooartz
05-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Smart boy there!

Steve
05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Hinting? I don't know. He obviously has a thing for these rice rockets, but a BSA? Maybe he would think that they are "cool" for being different from the current trend?

He'd be less likely to hurt himself on one that's for sure.

And yes, he is a smart boy /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

AngliaGT
05-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Birmingham Small Arms Lives!!!

- Doug (Triumph Bonneville owner)

aeronca65t
05-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Beezers....Oh yeah!

https://www.lbcarco.com/images/steelsigns/ft59.jpg

RonMacPherson
05-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Turn him on to AJS's. I had a WWII chassis, equipped for sidecar, but single and modified somewhat. Boy was that a kicker if I didn't get the compression release and piston position set before jumping on it.

Was a memorable bike.

coldplugs
05-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Had a call from my youngest this afternoon, asking whether I had heard of a motorcyle brand called BSA! ...

Must be in the genes. I have a similar situation - my son has some sort of Yahama rice rocket but says he wants to sell it and get an "Untainted by Technology" Royal Enfield.

Maybe there's hope after all, huh?

Steve
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Hope indeed!

I think that the comparative ease of maintenance appeals greatly. Modern motorcycles are very complex, and well beyond the abilities of even a competent home mechanic. Those old Brit-bikes can be fixed with basic tools. In addition, if you drop it you can fix it cheaply and easily (I have known these sport-bikes being totalled by the insurance companies because of the cost of replacing all that plastic bodywork).

tony barnhill
05-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Was talking with a biker friend of mine today - about the same age as me....said he's selling his 'thumper' because it keeps kicking him...said he's giving his '74 Norton 850 to his son for the same reason....he just bought a new Triumph America.

drooartz
05-29-2007, 02:51 PM
One of the reasons I just sold my V-Strom was all the plastic... boy, just checking the plugs made my shop look like a bike-part garage sale. Now that it's gone, I'm heading either to a new Triumph or an old BMW. I love the look of old Brit bikes, but I'm not sure I'd want to ride one on a long trip.

The new Triumphs give much of the look and maintenance ease, but with a bunch more reliability.