PDA

View Full Version : Mickey, what's the status of your engine???

05-04-2007, 04:56 AM
Haven't heard much on your scored cylinders as of late. Where are you at on that project. I still voted you #1 at the New Orleans car show.

Mickey Richaud
05-04-2007, 05:04 AM
Hey, Bill - thanks for the vote!

The engine is at the machine shop. They weren't too happy to see me! All four cylinders on the driver's side had the pins walk. Number one pin moved BOTH ways! Passenger side appeared to be OK. They have everything torn down, and said there was no collateral damage - crank, cam, etc. all check out OK. They will be pressing new sleeves in the driver's side, replacing what needs to be replaced, and buttoning everything back up. Probably another week or two before I can go back and get it, which cancels our plans to go to the Smokies next weekend for the show there.

If I can get it all back together in time, I'm shooting for the show in Louisville first weekend in June. And we're still planning on going to VTR in Valley Forge in July. Any chance you can make that one?

Still bummed about it all, but at least I know it wasn't anything I did. Guess there's SOME solace in that, though doesn't help much...

Mickey

DrEntropy
05-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Any opinions on the Teflon wrist-pin "buttons"?

Mickey Richaud
05-04-2007, 07:31 AM
I asked Woody about 'em, and he said they never use them. Will ask the machine shop for their input.

DrEntropy
05-04-2007, 07:38 AM
If the pins have the proper interference fit, they shouldn't be necessary... BUT(!) it may offer some confidence the walls wouldn't be mangled again. Lots of racers use 'em, too, BTW.

Mickey Richaud
05-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Just talked to the shop - they're familiar with the pins, but the pistons aren't the right type for 'em.

Don Elliott
05-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Mickey - I plan to get my TR3A back together and I've already reserved for VTR (#120). The engine is all apart, the gearbox is out and the body is at the paintshop. I had hoped to get to TRA in June, but I won't be ready.

See you at VTR.

https://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG (Photo from VTR 2001 when I drove 5225 miles round trip.)

YankeeTR
05-04-2007, 09:13 AM
The only time I've seen the wrist pin 'buttons' used was when a longer stroke crank had been added and the wrist pin had to be moved up in the piston behind the ring lands.

The button, I believe, is used to stabilize the piston/ring combo...

I like to use full-floating pins in any high performance engine. A circlip or spiral lock provides a positive lock on the pin. But it's a rare occurance that the pins would move in any press fit arrangement...definitely the machinists fault.

Mickey Richaud
05-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Mickey - I plan to get my TR3A back together and I've already reserved for VTR (#120). The engine is all apart, the gearbox is out and the body is at the paintshop. I had hoped to get to TRA in June, but I won't be ready.

See you at VTR.

https://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG (Photo from VTR 2001 when I drove 5225 miles round trip.)

Yep - we should be there. Went to Illinois year before last and had a great time. Best of all were the Spinal Tappets - wonder if they're gonna make a repeat performance this year...

Mickey Richaud
05-04-2007, 09:30 AM
The only time I've seen the wrist pin 'buttons' used was when a longer stroke crank had been added and the wrist pin had to be moved up in the piston behind the ring lands.

The button, I believe, is used to stabilize the piston/ring combo...

I like to use full-floating pins in any high performance engine. A circlip or spiral lock provides a positive lock on the pin. But it's a rare occurance that the pins would move in any press fit arrangement...definitely the machinists fault.

Yep - the owner of the shop has "owned" the problem. No worries at all there. Really great folks. Just an unfortunate occurrence all the way round...

Russ Austin
05-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Don; I thought that your Green TR was done, is TRusty getting a redo!

Don Elliott
05-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I finished the green TR3A last June and it's back with the owner. My black one is in pieces. After 94,000 miles and 16 summers of stone chips, I felt it was time to get it painted again. And the engine never got me more than 600 miles to a quart of oil. I think it never bedded in correctly 16 years ago. It was also dripping and I wanted to resolve all possibilities. My bone marrow cancer has been in remission for 30 months now and my oncologist says that 90% of patients in full remission like me relapse back into the bone marrow cancer within 12 months. And here I am at 30 months. Touch wood. So I have the health, the strength, the motivation, etc. to do it all now. And I don't know how things will be next year. I won't be sorry and I'll have no regrets. Even while I was recovering, I drove TRusty 11,000 miles during the last two summers. Every day is a beautiful day. I take them one at a time. Louise and I leave tomorrow for two weeks on the Costa del Sol in sunny Spain. We have rented a villa about 500 yards from the beach in Nerja on the Mediterranean.

As I said, every day must be lived and enjoyed while we can.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A (yes - I bought it brand new 49 years ago)

But I'm really still only 20 years old.

Mickey Richaud
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Update: Just talked to the owner of the shop. They are replacing all eight rods, even though only four pins walked. Said they didn't want to leave anything to chance.

These guys are good!

Mickey

DrEntropy
05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm impressed. They're "keepers". Or they'll be "too busy" to do whatever you bring in to them the next time you show up. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Mickey Richaud
05-10-2007, 02:44 PM
I hear ya - they may never want me to darken their doors again!

However, if I ever do another engine, they've got my biz.

Cheapsnake
05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Mickey, glad to hear your 8's on the road to recovery and even happier to hear of a shop that backs their work up like that. How long before you can drop the engine back in? I'm still considering that beer but my wife gets suspicious when I leave the house for more than 3 days without notice.

Tom

Mickey Richaud
05-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Darrell said "next week" - we'll see...

I'd like to have it back in and checked out in time for the Louisville show the first weekend in June. Again, we'll see...

Beer offer's still on, if anyone's interested. I'm thinking keg now... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

Mickey

YankeeTR
05-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Darrell said "next week" - we'll see...

I'd like to have it back in and checked out in time for the Louisville show the first weekend in June. Again, we'll see...

Beer offer's still on, if anyone's interested. I'm thinking keg now... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

Mickey

Mickey...you're cheating...the Bible said Jesus turned water into wine but you're just getting him to make it into beer and making us think you're a big spender!

DrEntropy
05-11-2007, 08:35 PM
...in my instance th' beer's a real temptation...

mehheh.

Mickey Richaud
05-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Drinker's choice... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Make mine Tecate with lime. (Don't think I can get a keg of that here, though. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

RSMTR8
05-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Mickey,

If you are going to make it to the Ville for the car show let me know, I will be there all day!

Rod

Mickey Richaud
05-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Hey Rod -

I'm shootin' fer it!

It'll be close; I'll let ya know.