PDA

View Full Version : Wha' Hoppened?

Mickey Richaud
05-09-2004, 10:59 AM
OK, so yesterday I'm driving down the road, enjoying the day, and all of a sudden the TR3 stops dead. This has happened before, and turns out it's due to a loose connection at the ignition switch. Jiggle the wires and there's power again.

Don't want this happening at an unopportune moment, so any thoughts on keeping those pesky screw connections intact?

Mickey

Dave Russell
05-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Tighten the screws once in a while. Just part of "maintenance" on an OLBC, which by definition they all are.
D

waltesefalcon
05-09-2004, 11:22 AM
loc tight

Cheers, graemlins/thirsty.gif graemlins/driving.gif
Walter

Mickey Richaud
05-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Thought about Loctite, but always wondered about its conductivity. Have you used it on connections, Walter?

Mickey

Steve
05-09-2004, 02:00 PM
I don't think that there would be a problem with Loctite's Threadlocker......this does not set, but remains soft and pliable for convenient removal of the screw if needs be.

Bruce Bowker
05-10-2004, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mickey Richaud:
Thought about Loctite, but always wondered about its conductivity. Have you used it on connections, Walter?

Mickey<hr></blockquote>

Just put a minimal amount on the threads. The head of the screw will conduct.

Geo Hahn
05-10-2004, 10:49 AM
The pre-60000 (?) TR3 connectors that clamp onto bare wire can work loose once the wire strands have been mashed awhile. I have a similar problem but it seems to be internal to the switch -- I have learned to reach back there and fiddle with the body of the switch the instant the ignition light comes on... not ideal but happens seldom and I can recover before I have lost more than 2 or 3 mph.

waltesefalcon
05-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Mickey,

Steve, and Bruce are right. The threadlocker would probably be easier to deal with when you wanted to unscrew the connections and as long as you just put a little bit on the threads you'll be fine.

Walter

P.S. Sorry I didn't go into a half way decent explanation when I first suggested it.

gjh2007
05-10-2004, 01:48 PM
How about a lock washer? or if using loctite use the following:

Medium Screw Thread Threadlocker, Size 10 Milliliters, Color Blue, Removable for Fasteners 1/4 to 3/4 Inch LOCTITE 24221

MGTF1250Dave
05-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Aloha Mickey,

You probably won't ever need to take your glasses apart, but you may need to undo the connections in the car at sometime. I also endorse the loctite.

Safety Fast,
Dave

MDCanaday
05-10-2004, 09:39 PM
For my 2 cents I prefer to soldier the wires together (or the single end) to solidify the conection. Often the wires fray and splinter off over time if you dont. Then almost any locking compound will work to keep the screw tight. If you do this once you will never be sorry.
Good luck!!
MD(mad dog)

Mickey Richaud
05-11-2004, 03:35 AM
OK, I'm sold - Loctite it is. Will try it and see how it does.

Interestingly, I'm having the same problem with my glasses and those LBS's (little bitty screws). Super Glue fixes them, though. Hmmm.......

Mickey Richaud
05-11-2004, 09:07 AM
MD -

Yeah, I thought about soldering the ends - will also do that. Thanks!

Mickey

waltesefalcon
05-12-2004, 03:35 AM
Mickey,

You could probably use loctight on your glasses too. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Walter

Winston
05-13-2004, 02:24 AM
Know it's late, but just popped in, gotta go with MD on this one.
Just did it in the driveway last week.

Winston 67TR4A IRS