PDA

View Full Version : "TO CHROME OR NOT TO CHROME": Is that a Question?

toysrrus
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi Folks;

You may remember I was looking to have My OE Luggage Rack Chromed Plated: Avg Cost was $350 - $400.00 & Avg Delv. was 12wks! Moss Sells for $375.00: I bought It for $65.00:

Well; I went to this "Polishing Co" I know in Nazareth, PA (Had parts done there before; Outstanding):

Long Story Short; $125.00 & 1wk. Delv: Now thats what I call a "NO BRAINER"!! Left My Rack there Today:

Regards, Russ

Their Polishing is as Good as Chrome Plating!! "GUARANTEED": They are an Approved Vendor for "Harley Davidson"!

Here`s their Address etc etc:

Nazareth Metal Finishing Works, Inc.
12 West Walnut Street
Nazareth, PA. 18064-2032
PH: 1-610-759-4578
Fax: 1-610-759-9796

Ask for Steve (Owner & Ref Triumph Russ; For whatever Good that may do You??:b

Brosky
04-23-2007, 06:14 PM
The rack that I picked up isn't rusted or bent up. After I see how yours turns out, maybe I'll send it to them.

Thanks,

toysrrus
04-23-2007, 08:51 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Hi There Brosky and All that may have an Interest:

When I Rec & Mount the Rack; I`ll take some Pics and Post them here:

It should be early part of Next Wk.

You won`t be dis-appointed!!!

See Ya All Later;

Regards, Russ

toysrrus
05-11-2007, 04:25 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Hi Folks;

Well; Today was the day I picked up the Luggage Rack:

I would simply like to say It looks Exc:

Please keep in mind, Its not Chrome Plated but Close enough for Me!! Really looks Good!

Pics to follow;

Regards, Russ

NutmegCT
05-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Russ - now that it's polished, what do you do to keep the polish? Does it need some kind of "protection"? Or just a weekly rubdown?

Tom

martx-5
05-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Good question about maintenance. I would like to know also. I have some TR3 windscreen parts that are in need of some work.

Post those pics so we can see what's up.

toysrrus
05-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Howdy Folks;

Speaking with the Owner (Steve) of "Nazareth Metal Finishing"; Just a Coat of "Turtle Wax" now & then; You should be good to go! My "Alfa Romeo Duetto" friend`s Bumpers are All Stainless and Factory Orig was Polished, Not Chromed: He had his done several yrs ago & they still look as new! He too is very anxious to see My Rack cause Not only are the Chrome Platters far and few in between, So are the Professional Polishers!

Please be patient relative to the Pics: My Digital is on a Fritz and have to wait to get a Friends: Probably this Weekend:

You won`t be Disappointed!!!!!!!!

Regards, Russ

PS: Speaking with Steve; Mention that You saw My Rack on the "British Car Forum" and he`ll do you well: He`s not computerized at this time so, All Pics etc would have to be done via USPS: He says he should be on the Internet in approx 2mo: This is an Old Established Bus. & They continue to work that way (A hand shake closes the deal); The Old Fashioned way; No Legal Papers or Attys needed here!!

Brosky
05-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Russ, get that camera going. My rack wants out of the box in the corner of my garage!

AltaKnight
05-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Please be patient relative to the Pics: My Digital is on a Fritz and have to wait to get a Friends: Probably this Weekend:

For cryin' out loud Russ, the suspense is killing us.....

DNK
05-12-2007, 12:31 AM
He too is very anxious to see My Rack

Some things are better left unsaid!!

piman
05-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Hello Russ,

are you saying that your rack is stainless steel? Then polishing is all it needs, it's a waste to chrome something like that.

Just for information, to chrome plate mild steel, brass etc the shine comes from polishing the base metal not the chrome.
I.e., the final finish depends on the surface finish of the article, just look at the rear of a bumper for instance, this is just base metal and it will be dull.

Alec

toysrrus
05-12-2007, 03:37 AM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif I`m shooting for Tomorrow (Sun) relative to taking the Pics: I may have the Rack on the Car or Off the Car?

Which would you folks prefer to see; On or Off?

As I had mentioned; The TR is going in for Surgery on Mon. so I guess I better get some Pics tomorrow If I want to Live to See Monday!

Thanx for Your Patience;

Regards, Russ

PS: Whomever May have an Int. in getting Quotes etc: You can feel free to send me the Pics (toysrus@ptd.net) & I`ll print them & bring them down to Steve @ Nazareth Metal/At least until He gets online:

PPS: Hi Piman: Yes, The Rack is Stainless Stl. & Your 100% correct relative to What the Cond. of the Stl is in, In the first place: Per Steve @ Nazareth; If he sees any "Light" coming thru a Pinhole in the Metal; He won`t polish It cause that simply means Rust Thru in the Metal!

PPPS: Hey Brosky; Whats your Rack made of; Alum or Stainless Stl? Just curious as I believe working with Alum is more of a Pain in the Butt; I think!

Brosky
05-12-2007, 12:42 PM
As far as I know, mine is steel that is chrome plated. I have the Amco version with the tubes, not the square model. Moss sells these today, but they may be stainless. This I think is plated. I need to take some pics to send anyhow. I'll get those later, as my camera is at the office.

toysrrus
05-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi Brosky;

There`s a simple way to tell if Its Stl or Alum:

Just put a Magnette on It; If It grabs, Its Stl: If not, Its Alum:

Hope Its Stl;

Regards, Russ

Geo Hahn
05-12-2007, 07:09 PM
...If not, Its Alum:

...or Stainless Steel

Brosky
05-12-2007, 09:10 PM
There is also a second way to tell. It's way to heavy to be aluminum.

toysrrus
05-13-2007, 03:59 AM
Hi Folks;

Well; Yesterday I mounted My Rack:

Looks [censored] Good to Me:

Hopefully a Pic or Two Today?

Happy Moms Day to All You "Mothers" out there;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Bugeye58
05-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Hi Brosky;

Just put a Magnette on It.
Regards, Russ

Russ, I think if you put a Magnette on it, it would crush. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

toysrrus
05-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Well; In that case, Does`nt sound like a Good Candidate for a Big Monster Polishing Machine; "Chrome It"!!

Regards, Russ

toysrrus
05-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi There Folks;

Well; Here it is: My "Mirror Polished Luggage Rack":

The TR is in the shop getting a complete "Makeover":

Thanx to "Condon & Skelley" (My Ins. Co. for those who are new to this thread):

Regards, Russ

[censored]; Someone shot me an email of the rack but not as an attachment: What do I do now to get it posted here?/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

Brosky
05-18-2007, 06:07 PM
What happened?? Where did it go??

toysrrus
05-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi There Brosky;

As I mentioned previously; I got the pics via email but not as an Attachment: I can`t figure out how to post it here without forwarding My Email to an Email Address??

What can I do otherwise??

Regards, Russ

Brosky
05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Try saving the attachment in the email somewhere that you can find it of your hard drive or desk top. Then reply to your post and choose "File Manager" down in the bottom left of the window. Use "browse" to find the file, then click on it and click the "Add File" button on the right. Choose "Done adding files" and submit.

If it is the proper size, it will show in the post, if not it appears as an attached file that needs to be clicked on to view.

toysrrus
05-19-2007, 04:53 AM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Hi Brosky;

Thats the Problem! The email I rec`d. (Per My Request) was sent with Several Pics but "NOT AS AN ATTACHMENT"??

I have the email saved in Computer / My Documents / Did the right thing as far as posting here / Cannot pull up the size of the pics to see if they are too large or not??

I can "EMAIL (FORWARD) THE ENTIRE FILE" to Yourself If You wish and perhaps you can play with it?? Whats Your Email Address?

Hey Basil; You`ve been kind enough in the past to help; What about this one? Whats Your Email Address?

I`m trying folks cause I know You`ll like what You See;

Regards, Russ

swift6
05-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Have you tried 'right clicking' on the image and selecting 'save image as'?

toysrrus
05-19-2007, 05:42 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Well Shawn; No I did not but here it goes:

Did`nt Work???

Try, Try Again;

Thanx, Russ

Brosky
05-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Russ,

Once you do as Shawn says and save the file, you have to follow my instructions to get it here.

toysrrus
05-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi Brosky;

Well; I have it saved in "My Pictures": What do I need to do Next?

Thanx, Russ
PS: What if I just forwarded the Email letter to Yourself, If this does`nt work: I would need to know Your Email Address:

PPS: Brosky, I just sent you an email with the Email I rec`d showing the Rack:

Brosky
05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Let's see if I can get this to work.

toysrrus
05-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey Brosky;

"It worked"!!!!

What the heck did You do??

What do You think of the Rack?

Thanx and Regards, Russ/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

Brosky
05-20-2007, 09:30 PM
First I got rid of everything that was beyond the .jpg in the file name and then I could open it to make sure you weren't sending something naughty. Then I followed the directions that I gave you above.

The picture has a lot of lines in it that make the finish of the rack look worse than it really is. But from what I see, it looks pretty good.