PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR8 oil pressure

one4two8
04-23-2004, 10:51 AM
My 80 TR8 has oil pressure ranging from 20- 50 pds, either hot or cold. The lifters clatter when the pressure is low. The car is high mileage and has received good care. Will changing the lifters help the oil pressure or are the clattering lifters a result of low oil pressure? I have been told to change the lifters and keep driving the car. I'm wondering if I do need to change bearings also? Don't know total history of car.
Thanks to all who reply. bruenger@kansas.net

Izual Angel
04-23-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm not at all familiar with the TR8 engine, but, I think your oil pressure is supposed to be higher than that. Are those solid, or hydraulic lifters? Generally the lifters clattering is a result of low oil pressure, not the other way around (unless you have hyrdaulic lifters, in which case I believe you'd notice valve chatter from oil starvation).

Cheapsnake
06-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Sorry for the late reply, but I just joined the group. Believe it or not, your oil pressure is right where it's supposed to be and you're not the first to question the low pressure. I had the same issue with my TR8 (even lower op) and went as far as changing out the engine with a rebuild. Guess what? Same pressure. Having done some more research around the web, I am finding that these engines are designed to live on low oil pressure, but high volume. If you want to see higher readings check with D&D Fabrications, they sell an oil pump kit to boost pressures.