PDA

View Full Version : Where does it end?

tomshobby
04-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I was just going to rebuild the motor. Now I am stripping the engine bay to get it ready for the paint shop. I am determined to only paint the engine bay but it would not look very nice if I use all the old parts and don't freshen the ones I keep, would it? And summer starts when?

https://www.smithtr6.com/images/forum_pics/080s.jpg

It is nice to have a well stocked tool set. This crow-foot made it easy to get the clutch line off.

https://www.smithtr6.com/images/forum_pics/071s.jpg

rotoflex
04-14-2007, 11:27 AM
If you paint only the engine bay, people will still be able to see where the old paint ends on the frame & the new paint starts. It really should come off.

Harry_Ward
04-14-2007, 02:34 PM
I was just going to rebuild the motor.

Might as well /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif ON! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Tinster
04-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Tom-

and all I intended to do was replace the defective
ignition switch!

It's like poison ivy- spreads on you and itches like
the devil until you scratch it some.

d

Brosky
04-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Starting out a lot like this "paint my engine compartment" project....www.74tr6.com

and then came the distributors, oops, you got that too!

next was the rechrome bumpers, then the valve cover, then the triple carbs, ya-da, ya-da.

kodanja
04-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Just when it ends, It's time to start another project!

04-14-2007, 09:27 PM
err - isn't the answer "death"

Tinkerman
04-15-2007, 08:03 AM
It ends when "She who is to be obeyed" says so!

Tinkerman

Tinster
04-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Is that the same as when
"She who is to be obeyed" says

Ni uno mas centavo, nada!

d

tomshobby
04-15-2007, 11:02 AM
I do have to admit I am thoroughly enjoying myself with this project. And am somewhat encouraged by the knowledge that there are so many similarly afflicted. I believe it is good company to be in! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

04-15-2007, 11:35 AM
I do have to admit I am thoroughly enjoying myself with this project. And am somewhat encouraged by the knowledge that there are so many similarly afflicted. I believe it is good company to be in! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Give it some time. It gets old quick.

DrEntropy
04-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah, so far it's been mmm.... forty years of boredom here. I think it grew out of what would be termed "childhood fascination." /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

tomshobby
04-15-2007, 11:57 AM

Give it some time. It gets old quick.

The company or the projects? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Just kidding here, I really enjoy the company even though my sense of humor may not be always appreciated.

Brosky
04-15-2007, 12:08 PM
No one has a more twisted sense of humor than me. Just ask Dale, he's been on the receiving side of it several times.

In my estimation, the best description of the closely knit group that has found a home here is "eclectic".

2wrench
04-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Twisted sense of humor would be like:

Wouldn't it be funny if you painted the entire
engine bay and it looked great and you posted pictures
and were very happy with it so you put the engine
in and hooked everything up but you used the wrong
primer in the engine bay so then after you got it all
back together the primer coat started off-gassing and
then all the paint started peeling???

Wouldn't that be funny??? Oh, my God, I think I took too
much pain medication. I just gotta stop.
Sorry, know this would never happen, right? Right???

2wrench

tomshobby
04-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Well, the bay is ready for the paint shop. The wires, brake and clutch MCs and lines are out. Wiper motor and bumper braces are out. Found there were no bushings on the throttle shaft.

I will tape a couple things and secure a few loose items and install the bonnet and it is ready to go.

I think the little detailing will add a month or more to this engine rebuild. Of course I have not told Shirley that her job is to clean and paint all the nuts, bolts, and washers! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Brosky
04-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Tom,

We know how to fix the throttle bushings and where to get the parts, right? Now is the perfect time to do those bad boys!

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/268603/page/1#Post268603

Secondly, look in your phone book an see if there are any metal refinisher's in your area. If so give them a call and ask how much it would cost to tumble your bolts, nuts and washers as a batch. For ten to twenty bucks you may get a bag of brand new looking parts back and Shirley's finger nails will not be ruined. (Translated, you won't regret asking her to do that job).

That wil be a lot cheaper than the manicures that you're gonna pay for.

tomshobby
04-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Hi Paul,

I have the new throttle bushings from McMaster-Carr. They came in last week. Thanks to you and Dale.

And just kidding about Shirley doing the nuts and bolts. I will be ordering most of them new. Fairly easy with Fastenal's on-line ordering. Had not thought about tumbling them. Have a tumbler here and can do that myself.

Oh, I did measure my hub for that other project and I have been after my printer on the first project. Too many things going but progress is being made on all fronts.

Tinster
04-16-2007, 07:46 AM
And Paul, even our Asian members find the forum eclectic
although they pronounce it erectic.

d /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

YankeeTR
04-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Paint it if you must but it would be a whole lot cheaper just to keep the hood shut....

Tinster
04-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Tom,

Git yerself a small wooden stool and set it on the
garage floor in the middle of the engine bay.

Next git yerself a coupla cans of paint stripper,
a bunch of cheap brushes, a few different shaped scrapers
and a few different shaped steel wire cleaning brushes.
Buy a gallon jug of xylol at yer friendly paint store.
Buy a roll of blue painter's making tape.

Purchase 4 or 5 rattle cans of white, sandable primer.
Purchase 4 or 5 rattle cans of the color you want yer
engine compartment to be.

Start at the top edges and work in spiral downward.
Little by little. Remove some paint, 400 grit sand
the area, mask the surround ing areas with newspaper
and spray some primer. Let dry and spray on your color
and let dry. Paper cover the new paint area all but
about a 3/4" strip at the side and bottom. This will
be your primer overlap zone for your next area.

move on to next area, etc.

You can then refurbish all the other engine bay components
one by one as you have the time or energy.

I am having to do my engine bay in total reverse process
and it is a royal pain in the butt.

d

tomshobby
04-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Paint it if you must but it would be a whole lot cheaper just to keep the hood shut....

Yup, and maybe weld it shut while I am at it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Person not to be mentioned, I have used Xylol in the past, some really nasty stuff. My buddy with the paint shop has a guy with plenty of experience sitting on that stool in the engine bay. They do a lot of restoration work. Makes more sense to me because I do not think I would fit well in there! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Tinster
04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Tom!!

Man, don't EVER mention my name in the same sentence
with "really nasty stuff". Paul will kick my behind
for sure if he finds out. The doc's got me on a
"no fumes" diet.

d

tomshobby
04-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Dale, is that better? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Winston
04-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Tom,
It's time to find another one in need of help!

Need Bigger Garage, Need Bigger Garage,Need Bigger Garage.....................