PDA

View Full Version : Hostile Ebay Seller

brdave
03-21-2007, 07:43 PM
I found the questions and answers here very interesting. Anybody know the story? White 72TR6 item 170092199642

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-T...1QQcmdZViewItem (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-TR6-72-Low-mileage-California-Convertible_W0QQitemZ170092199642QQcategoryZ80757Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

dave

71tr
03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
LOL, that is some interesting content. Has to be something more than is apparent.

terriphill
03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
OK just for fun...let's all ask seller a question and see how many nasty remarks we can get.

Brosky
03-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Why do half of these "expensive restorations" have such lousy pictures? I'm a rank amateur with a camera and I'm not trying to sell anything, but I can get them half way decent for my web site.

You'd think if the cars were that spectacular, that you'd have paid a bit more attention to your listing in order to get the best bids possible.

Andrew Mace
03-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Who wants to ask the seller why it looks more like a '73 than a '72? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

guzzul
03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
He's bounced three bidders already. That's really playing 'hard to get'.

If you check on his feedback, I don't see anything about him buying a ski nautilus.

I wonder if that's his pool the car is sitting beside.....hmmmm

03-21-2007, 08:53 PM
It has a 72 dash. Look at the tach...

jeff3113
03-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Scary!!!!!!!! I see some inconsistencies.

Interesting that they want a cashier's check for the majority of the payment. Hmmmmm.
I smell something.....

If you can't walk away, then you're hooked.

Jeff

AngliaGT
03-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Also,if he went to great pains to make
it as it left the factory,the hub caps would
be Black.

- Doug

Tinster
03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Why have all the photos been "retouched" in
Adobe Photoshop? That's not bad photography/
they've been reworked to hide things.

d

terriphill
03-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Why have all the photos been "retouched" in
Adobe Photoshop? That's not bad photography/
they've been reworked to hide things.

d

How can you tell they have been retouched?

AngliaGT
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
I wonder if anyone in the local Triumph club
knows this car (or the alleged seller).

- Doug

Andrew Mace
03-21-2007, 09:57 PM
It has a 72 dash. Look at the tach... Admittedly, I'm a bit out of my league with TR6s. But it's got the plastic cowl vent grille and "Union Jack" decals on the rear, along with the silver wheel centers...all '73 changes, as I recall.

03-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Seats are 72 as well btw.
I guess it's not entering the concours judging this year...

DNK
03-21-2007, 10:33 PM
when you ask a seller a question does it always say this
"Note: The user you are contacting is registered on another eBay site and may speak a different language. Your message will be sent exactly as typed below."

Because his did.

frankenstang57
03-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Sent him this; Why does your car look more like a '73 than a '72? Was it a late run model? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif We'll see if he gets nasty...

DNK
03-21-2007, 11:12 PM
I also asked if he was certain of the year.

TR674
03-21-2007, 11:39 PM
He is getting a bit testy........
I't looks like a cheap phone camera was used. Is there anyway for you 'blokes' in the USA to check the rego plate number from the photo? (ie that it is currently registered to that car and there no other financial interests?)
We have a gov department here called 'Revs' that will check all this for you before purchase.
Regards
Craig

swift6
03-22-2007, 02:35 AM
It has a 72 dash. Look at the tach... Admittedly, I'm a bit out of my league with TR6s. But it's got the plastic cowl vent grille and "Union Jack" decals on the rear, along with the silver wheel centers...all '73 changes, as I recall.

My early '72 has always had the black plastic cowl vent grille. The decals don't mean much unless they are still on the outside of the original paint. When the original owner painted my car it was given the Union Jacks as an 'update' and the silver wheel centers/hubcaps could have easily been sourced from a different car. Seats and dash can be a little more comprehensive of a decider as they are not usually changed as easily as the other stuff. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be an early '73 either I guess.

Next time I'll look at it first, but hey, it's late. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The chrome trim rings on the instruments says '73 to me. From what I have seen, '72's should still be black.

I wonder if there were more to those questions and he thinks those are scammers? 'Your not welcome at my house."?

70herald
03-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Hey Dale, does Pedro have a brother in CA?
this is a very strange way of treating potential customers! Sets my scam-o-meter off......

Q: Good evening, I'd like to take a "peek" at her. Would it be possible to come down on Tuesday or Wednesday ?? Thanks AL Mar-20-07
A: Please do not contact me or bid on any of my items ever again and you are not welcome at my home. Tom

NutmegCT
03-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Anybody notice that all his feedback is only for items he bought? Looks like he has never sold anything on ebay, which may explain why he's so touchy about people asking questions.

Of course, there were a *lot* of MGA sellers I contacted on ebay when I was looking. I'd ask a detailed question and they sure got defensive fast. Or sent really bogus info.

Amazing how many cars are being sold "for a friend" - and the seller really knows very little, but can copy webpages very easily.

Tom

tomshobby
03-22-2007, 08:27 AM
when you ask a seller a question does it always say this
"Note: The user you are contacting is registered on another eBay site and may speak a different language. Your message will be sent exactly as typed below."

Because his did.

Upset when a the high bidder asks a legitimate question and another prospect wants to look at it.
I wonder if he speaks "Scamese"?

kodanja
03-22-2007, 08:28 AM
seems like a real jerk!

I would never buy anything from him with that kinda additude

BOXoROCKS
03-22-2007, 09:11 AM
The guys gotta attitude allright, probably because he doesnt know what he is selling, just going by what the title and the previous seller told him. Its a mix and match car,but I believe a 72. The gauges are correct,just had the paint polished off. The dash is a replacement. door panels,door pulls/seats/dash support/steering wheel are correct. Aftermarket boot cover/top.Late model hub caps/decals. Early valve cover,69/or 250. A few other items also,..but who cares. I some what sympathise with the guy,there are a lot of know it alls on Ebay who get thier kicks harrassing sellers. Thats OK and a good thing,....IF.. they know what they are talking about. I sold an early 69 Spit on Ebay, man the uninformed A$$$OLES came out of the wood work. I never was one to walk away from a bar brawl. Anyway the guy should listen to those who pose an honest question.
PS,...you wanna see picky,talk early Alfas,to Alfisti guys.....Geeeesh.

Mike_Bouse
03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
in my experience, you need to be an Alfa guy for a few years before you are allowed to talk the picky ones.

they do get touchy.

GB1
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I hope he answers my question /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bow.gif

I hope he answers my question /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

I hope he answers my question /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Patrick

YankeeTR
03-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Did you notice he listed it with no reserve...I'll bet that the price doesn't get high enough and he ends the auction early...

I do a lot of buying/selling on ebay but I would avoid this guy like the plague...

myspitfire
03-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Maybe he's a forum member?...He wouldn't dare be dishonest THEN right?...

gsalt57tr3
03-22-2007, 05:16 PM
This guy is definatly a newbie when it comes to selling, which is fortunate for the bidders. He doesn't seem to realize that you can hide the questions and responses from public view.

jeff3113
03-26-2007, 03:40 PM
the car is now listed as:

"The seller ended this listing early because the item was lost or broken"

....interesting dialog posted.....seems it was not going to get close to the $18k he had into it.

Andrew Mace
03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Well, the seller did say in the listing that "I would sell this to my best friend." Maybe that's what he did? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bugeye58
03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
With his attitude, do you think he <u>has</u> any friends? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

AngliaGT
03-26-2007, 11:26 PM
NO bids - What a surprise!

- Doug

hondo402000
03-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I sent him a question that I had a local machanic to come check out the car before I bid and got no reply

YankeeTR
03-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Did you notice he listed it with no reserve...I'll bet that the price doesn't get high enough and he ends the auction early...

I do a lot of buying/selling on ebay but I would avoid this guy like the plague...
My crystal ball finally worked...