PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock replacement for the KYB conversion

RonMacPherson
03-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Okay, I've come across mention of SPAX and Koni replacements for the KYB rear shock conversions. I was unsuccessful in my research a couple of years ago with Koni.
Does anyone have a part number for an adjustable rear shock replacement for the KYB rear shock?

Has anyone fitted different rear springs, spacers, etc....?

What has been your results?

richards
03-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Do you know who made the rear "tube shock" conversion kit that is on your car.
I would think that be critical..
Static length, and such on the shock is important.

I have lowered my car, using Goodparts springs and
the Blind Moose rear tube shock kit Konis.
Check the Blind Moose website for recommended shocks.

RonMacPherson
03-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Got em from Vicky Brit, over a decade ago, probably closer to 20 years. I believe it's pretty much universal now where they mount to the original shock mount bracket, have a welded angle brace at a slight bend. I was not aware that KYB supplied more than one shock to these, as the travel isn't that much.

03-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Spax 28.

Paul Slice
03-20-2007, 05:48 AM
part number and best price that I could find for Koni rear shocks https://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/stores/deta...&source=lookup. (https://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/stores/details?vendor_code=KON&ajr_part_number=KON%2080%202167&source=lookup.)

I use these with the blind moose conversion.

Paul

rooster
03-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi,

I've got the koni's on the rear using the TRF conversion, the one that mounts through the body. I think the part number is stamped on the shocks, I can check when I get home.

I'm using the TRF "uprated" springs. I've had this setup for about 10 years, it's a bit harsh on the potholes but otherwise handles well.

RonMacPherson
03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. Fitment for the others is what I researched over a decade ago. No Koni knowledge then. So looks like I've got the same type setup.
As far as springs go. Does anyone know what the ratings of the springs are. I also have the TRF "bone-crusher" road springs. Has anyone found any rising rate springs? I know as far as fitment goes the early Acura Legend rear is identical in size, but don't know anything about spring rate. Hoping to acquire a more comfortable ride in the rear, still maintain control through shocks(Kinda like Lotus and Porsche strive for)

RonMacPherson
03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I'se still learning, looks like I put this in the spot where it may mislead people. The kit I've got mounted is the "blind moose" type. Got the early Moss, body kit with the Monroes, but trying to stay away from them.

rooster
03-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi,

The number on them is 80 2167 for the rear. If I were to do it again, I'd get the spax, they can be adjusted while on the car, the koni's can't.

Cheers