PDA

View Full Version : Athens, ALTravel Assistance

brent615
03-17-2007, 10:40 PM
don't know how much help we need yet, but my father is driving a TR6 that he just bought back from New Orleans and he is bogged down in Athens Alabama tonight (10:30 PM CST). She ran smooth until a gas stop 30 miles ago and now it bogs out in 4th gear and "spits" and "pops" in 3rd. He plans to check the plugs, fuel filter, and vacuum lines in the AM. Any other suggestions? Anyone no someone in the area that may be able to help? My dad worked for AC Spark plug/Delco in the 70s and is comforatble with engines but we all know how "unique" LBCs can be. We'll know more in the morning.

CinneaghTR
03-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear of your Dad's troubles.

If the car has been sitting a while, make sure he gets a sample of the gasoline when he checks the fuel filter to see if there is any crud in it. I had the same symptoms and it ended up being a fuel line that would clog and unclog at the most annoying times. The gas was a dark red, sort of like a red ale, rather than clear gasoline.

The VTR website has a traveler's assistance listing by state if he needs further assistance. It should be free and downloadable. If he is not a member, it may just make him one.

Good luck.

brent615
03-17-2007, 11:12 PM
thanks. good idea! i'll post an update tomorrow.

brent615
03-18-2007, 04:59 PM
it turned out to be fouled plugs. he had put a new set in when he picked it up Friday and two fouled during the trip home. he did go ahead and replace the fuel filter as well and made home on the new plugs. thanks for the help.

Brosky
03-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Glad to hear that it all worked out. If either of you are going to be traveling with the cars, look into that VTR membership. Well worth it to join and a good group. They recommended this site to me back in 2005.

bobh
03-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Brent,
Unfortunately our internet provider was having problems over the weekend. I couldn't get online until late last night. Athens is only 15 miles from me. I would have gladly gone to help.
BOBH

brent615
03-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks anyway, It worked out well in the end. Please look me up if you get up near Nashville. I'd love to see the TVR!