PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR3A Body on a TR4A chassis?

karls59tr
03-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Will it fit without major mods?

martx-5
03-17-2007, 03:07 PM
It's been done, but it ain't so easy. The ouriggers from the chassis will have to be moved in. Not a big deal. The big problem is that the TR4, TR4A chassis has a track that is four inches wider then the TR3. So, either you have to flare the **** out of the wings (fenders), or you have to get the "beta" wings from Revington. Those are wider to accomodate the extra two inches on each side. The other alternative that someone else did (I'll see if I can find the link) is to cut the body down the middle and add four inches to the total width.

To answer you question in one word...NO.

TR6oldtimer
03-17-2007, 03:32 PM
I thought about doing this to a TR6. Just think what 10% more width would do...

A whole different animal....

Nah, won't do it.

BOXoROCKS
03-17-2007, 03:37 PM
No need to really,if you like the look of the rear tires sticking out a little(i do). Just change the running gear, and get a R&P conversion for the front. It is basicly the same frame anyway. This is not a great pix but check the back tires. I even added spacers to the front wheels to help bring them in line a bit.

PeterK
03-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Easier on a TR4 than on a 4A because the 3A and TR4 share a similar chassis. But as Art say, It ain't easy.

If you've never done somthing like this before, it's near impossible. If you have to ask, then you probably won't be able to complete the project.

If you have a nice 3A tub, look for a 3A chassis. They're around. And the results will be worth something.

BOXoROCKS
03-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Hmmmmy pix did not come thru, buts thats OK cause I just reread the orig post and it was 4A, I was thinking 4, oh well.

Twosheds
03-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Is the independant rear what you're after?

Don Elliott
03-17-2007, 09:42 PM
There were some enthusiasts at the Roadster Factory summer party in 2003 who showed the frame they had built for a TR6 that was 7 inches wider and they were going to cut two TR6 bodies 3.5" off center and use the wider parts to weld down the new centerline. Or was in 10" they were adding ? It was part of the Tech Session in the interior display area of the lobby at TRF..

Andrew Mace
03-17-2007, 10:25 PM
There were some enthusiasts at the Roadster Factory summer party in 2003 who showed the frame they had built for a TR6 that was 7 inches wider.... I suspect you're thinking of the TR6+6 project by members of the Long Island Triumph Association (https://longislandtriumph.org) ; click on the TR6+6 on the left side of their home page.

martx-5
03-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Yes, I'm a member of the Long Island Triumph Association and am involved with the TR6+6 project.

Because the original frame wasn't usable, Tony (who owns the car) decided to make a new frame for the project. It turned out so good, he decided to make TR frames. That's how RATCO got started.

As a result of all the time spent on the RATCO frames, the TR6+6 project was shelved for the time being. We're looking to start that up again within the next few months. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif