PDA

View Full Version : Parts interchange spreadsheet

gjh2007
03-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Good morning all from snowy Massachusetts.

Back when I was running my old Land Rover a great cross reference list was compiled of parts that could be purchased locally. Things like U joints, oil filters, & many other things that don't come to mind right now.

Any way reading Brosky's quest for the OP switch reminded me of this.

Is there some way we could collaborate & compile a list of know interchangeable parts for all to have? Especially useful for those emergency repairs on the road when a NAPA or other parts store is nearby.

What would be great is to compile the list by part, Vehicle it fits, i.e '85 Chevy 3.0 v6, etc & a NAPA part number. That way a cross reference could be made to almost any mfg.

Just a thought.

This should be something we can put in the knowledge base & a hard copy in our glovebox.

Basil:
Can we set up a live link to a file that we add to?

71tr
03-17-2007, 09:03 AM
this is a great thought and what might be even better is if bcf could host the document so it is available for reference.

Brosky
03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
How about putting it in the knowledge base? The biggest issue is how to make it available to all to update, yet keeping it in some sort of sorted order?

PeterK
03-17-2007, 10:28 AM
What would be great is to compile the list by part, Vehicle it fits, i.e '85 Chevy 3.0 v6, etc & a NAPA part number. That way a cross reference could be made to almost any mfg.

Gary,

A parts cross-refence is a great idea, even for simple things like points, condenser and which spin-on filters can I use on my adapter.

Here's an example that I found but I think I've seen one for TRs somewhere on the web:
https://www.wideopenwest.com/~kottage/tech/xref.html

guzzul
03-17-2007, 01:56 PM
There is a great cross reference for Spitfire and GT6 at the Spitfire/GT6 Magazine page. Have a look at:

https://www.triumphspitfire.com/substitute.html

This is, in fact, where I found the substitute part for my oil pressure switch when I replaced it.

I find some of the x-refs are not that useful as they reference vehicles maybe not so common in North America. And a few are 'bodge' replacements that many of us would not to use. Having said that, it has been a very handy source for me for a number of items.

With the experience and taent available through this forum I suspect we could have a pretty comprehensive database.

tdskip
03-17-2007, 02:14 PM
A BCF wiki would be PERFECT for this. Basil - does UBB.threads provide a wiki option?

PeterK
03-17-2007, 02:22 PM
That's a good one too, Ross. Now we need one for big TRs.

gjh2007
03-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Ok, now if we can get Bas to help us out with a common place to enter data.

I could make a quick spreadsheet with some blank cells we could populate.

How about it Bas??

jackag91
03-18-2007, 02:51 PM
what about google spreadsheets?

gjh2007
03-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Help me out here with the Google Spreadsheets

jackag91
03-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Google has a spreadsheet application that is run online. It is pretty good and as effective as excel for most people.

The nice thing about it is that it is hosted online and your files are sharable if you want them to be.

docs.google.com will take you to the service

martx-5
03-21-2007, 12:11 PM
A BCF wiki would be PERFECT for this. Basil - does UBB.threads provide a wiki option?

We have a BCF wiki now. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif This would be the perfect place to put it. It can be added to by anyone on an on going basis. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jackag91
03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I agree with the wiki

DrEntropy
03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I started this (a parts interchange wiki) and pulled it down! Needs more work before I'm happy with it... then you guys can PILE ON!!!

EDIT: It's back up. I even put a TR250 part in it! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

gjh2007
03-22-2007, 11:47 AM
I can't get the Wiki to run, something about can't display XML with XLS??