PDA

View Full Version : License Plate Mania; Send Pics

toysrrus
03-15-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi Kodanja:

I was reading Your "Spring in the East" finally: I also noted Your "License Plate" on Your Sweet Looking TR6: Here in PA we have a Similar looking Plate with a "Model T or Model A" that resembles Yours but in Multi Colors: Is your Plate a Standard CT issue by the DOT or Did You have It Custom made by someone?

Regards, Russ
PS: Enjoy the Spring Like weather for a bit More! Cool down on its way; BOOOOOOOO!!!

NutmegCT
03-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Russ - I must have got up earlier than Kodanja.

Here in Connecticut cars over 20 years old can get a "classic car" registration like Kodanja has. Looks pretty good, but some folks are concerned about the "Early American" when we're not driving an American!

With a classic car registration ($92), the maximum value for property tax purposes is $500. That also qualifies the owner for antique auto insurance with many insurors.

You can get whatever registration number the computer assigns, or you can request a "vanity" number if it's not already in use. Vanity numbers are an added fee.

Personally I think all fees should be waived for anyone having to go through our state DMV offices.

Tom

kodanja
03-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Well said Tom

I kinda lucked out and got my 1st choice on the marker "TR6"

I spoke with someone from CT DOT, The guy who had the plate before me, had his TR6 for 27 years before he got rid of the car.

I guess timing is everything.

I'm registered as a part time Antique vehicle so my insurance is extremely inexpensive.(even with Full coverage)

Frankley I dont care that the plate says "Early American", whats it gunna say "Early English"

It's not that early!

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/DSC07715.jpg
https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/DSC05918.jpg

Geo Hahn
03-15-2007, 01:40 PM
[/quote]I guess timing is everything...[/quote]

When I lived in Indiana I asked for a 'TRIUMPH' plate but was told it was already taken. But then the clerk added (with a conspiratal wink) that last year the plate holder was a week late renewing it. If he did that again it would be available to anyone for that week.

I succumbed to the temptation. I sure hope that guys isn't on the Forum, or if he is that he got it back when I left Indiana.

gsalt57tr3
03-15-2007, 01:55 PM
In California, you can use a plate of the year of manufacture, if you can find one. Fees are the same as if you had current, contemporary plates.

https://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/gms57tr3/?action=view&current=IMGA0250.jpg

gsalt57tr3
03-15-2007, 01:55 PM
can anyone figure out why my photos are not posting?

kodanja
03-15-2007, 02:01 PM
get rid of the https:// before you post in the image window

gsalt57tr3
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Trying something new

rear plate (https://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/gms57tr3/?action=view&current=IMGA0250.jpg)

gsalt57tr3
03-15-2007, 03:15 PM
that worked, shows off my new rear bumpers too

Harry_Ward
03-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Russ - I must have got up earlier than Kodanja.

Here in Connecticut cars over 20 years old can get a "classic car" registration like Kodanja has. Looks pretty good, but some folks are concerned about the "Early American" when we're not driving an American!

With a classic car registration ($92), the maximum value for property tax purposes is $500. That also qualifies the owner for antique auto insurance with many insurors.

You can get whatever registration number the computer assigns, or you can request a "vanity" number if it's not already in use. Vanity numbers are an added fee.

Personally I think all fees should be waived for anyone having to go through our state DMV offices.

Tom

Tom,

Some CT-DMV branches are better than others. I went to one branch when I first moved here and they wanted me to take the entire written and driving test over (I was driving for Ten years). I then went to a different branch and all I had to do was fill out the paperwork, pay the fee, and wait for my picture to develop. Crazy! When you're ready to get the 3 registered send me a PM and we can go over all the crazy stuff they are going to try and make you go through. Do you have back-up lights installed? Seat belts? That high beam indicator you need is on the inspection list. It's certainly another learning experience.

kodanja
03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Harry
I went to the Hamden DMV branch for inspection fairly easy run though, they checked all that plus the under mirror inspection, also put it up on the alignment test. Luckly it passed. (Try to go when there very busy, bit of a wait but worth it)

Make sure ALL electric devices work or they'll give ya heck! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nopity.gif

Harry_Ward
03-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I hear ya there they are all are different. I use to go to Bridgeport. I will not go to a state run facility again. The comical part is the TR3 has no back-up lights although the state inspectors want them on the car. My car was originally registered in CT so some previous owner made some state inspector happy a long time ago and installed back up lights on it right alongside the directionals. It's different and another story. I also know of one state inspector that asked the owner why the windshield washer did not work. I told the owner some cars have em some do not. Of course this is after he installed it to make the inspector happy. Another state inspector started walking away and told the owner it needed to go through emissions before it can be inspected until I told him that it is exempt. I had my 3 inspection done by a private state certified inspection garage. First time with the private facility for me and I basically did the inspection for the guy. He couldn't fit in the car and he had no idea what operated what but I got my inspection form stamped and off I went.

kodanja
03-15-2007, 04:57 PM
When in doubt get a tall inspector!!..lol /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

toysrrus
03-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi Folks;

Very Interesting! Here in PA a Vehicle that is "20yrs Old or Older" is considered a "Classic Vehicle" and is Noted on the Plate: A Vehicle that is "25yrs Old or Older" is considered an "Antique Vehicle" and is Noted as such on the Plate: Either one cost $75.00: You can request a "Personalized License Plate" for Add`l. costs and submit 3 choices and Hope for the Best: If You do that; Then It becomes a Regular Plate & You would have to get It Inspected etc: There are "Never" any Inspections for "Anything" with "Antique Plates"!! There is`nt even a Window Sticker showing the Registration Date etc etc: My Insurance is thru "Condon & Skelley" out of S. Jersey, (Had them forever), and Their "Agreed Upon Value" is set @ $20,000 & cost Me $135.00 per Yr: That`s for Everything!! One day I`ll post a Pic of My Plate so You Folks can take a Peek:

Regards, Russ
PS: Their calling for 8" - 12" of the White Stuff Tomorrow; [censored]!! Is that Legal to say on this Forum??

toysrrus
03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I GUESS NOT! CENSORED!!!!!!!!

Russ

14dna
03-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Every vehicle sold in the province of Ontario must pass a rigid test for safety. But the nice part is, only mandatory safety regulations from the year of manufacture are required.This means if your car came with it from the factory, it must work. Also, after 20 years, they are considered classic cars and are exempt from emissions tests. Safety Inspections are only done at title transfer.
Personalized plates are available from the province for a fee according to how many characters you use up to 8. Thus 14DNA means "one for Dave and Annie." When you're at the DMV you can inquire and they will do an immediate search. This will tell you instantly if your request is available.You can use year of manufacture plates but the previous title holder must sign off, which can be very difficult. Anyway, that's how we license the dog sleds here. Dave

Aldwyn
03-15-2007, 07:03 PM
After debating lots of different ones with my wife, here is what we ended up with...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/aldwynn/TR6/plates.jpg

Maryland is only slightly cheaper on a historic car when the plates are personalized. But we dont have to get in inspected, or emissions tested when it's registered as historic.

AltaKnight
03-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Lifestyle or otherwise? https://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/Altaknight_photos/Grahams%20TR6/P1190004.jpg

kodanja
03-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Awesome Graham!

(Straight to the Point)

Aldwyn
03-16-2007, 07:53 AM
And can be read in so many ways, too! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

PeterK
03-16-2007, 09:07 AM
No inspection on vehicle with antique plates in Maine either.

When we bought our 3, I took it in for inspection and they said it didn't need it because of the antique plates. I had to read the inspection manual before I believed them. Now I carry a photocopy of the regulation just-in-case I get pulled and the police doesn't believe it either.

Makes me wonder when I see a POS Ford Esquire woody wagon from the 70s scratching it's way down the road on 2 good tires with antique plates and a pile of kids inside.

I would have thought a mode rigid inspection was in order for safety's sake.

Kirk_Fisher
03-16-2007, 09:31 AM
https://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/plates/antique17.jpg

The catch:
"To obtain an antique license plate, your current title must be surrendered and the department will issue a new title marked Antique. The fee for a new title is $15.00. To qualify for an antique license plate, the automobile or motorcycle must be at least 25 years old. <u>The vehicle is to be used in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar events, but shall not be used for general transportation. </u>When the vehicle is sold, junked, or otherwise disposed of, you must surrender the antique license plate to the department. The fee for the plate is $10.00."

Brosky
03-16-2007, 09:55 AM
For lack of a better picture, here's mine...

https://www.74tr6.com/images/bumper 004b (Custom).jpg

YankeeTR
03-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Here in Wisconsin we do not have any mandatory inspection laws...and only the seven southeastern counties have emission tests.

Years ago, Dale Sommers (known as the The Truckin' Bozo on XM Radio) was working at a Memphis radio station. He was in his car driving to the DMV to get his new tags. On the way he saw Jerry Lee Lewis driving around town and Dale noticed his vanity plate "Killer" had expired.

When Dale got to the DMV, he asked if the "Killer" plate was available.. it was since Lewis hadn't renewed it. So Dale 'stole' Jerry Lee lewis's vanity plate...I guess their relationship kinda cooled after that..funny story!

PeterK
03-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Ours is 'TR AAA'

wooolffy
03-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Hunydew made me get them!

Don Elliott
03-17-2007, 11:08 AM
In Quebec, we don't have a front plate. Like Florida. But in Quebec, you can put anything on the front. I've seen Quebec cars with a Colorada or California plate on the fronr. I had one made in England for my TR3A.

toysrrus
03-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi Don;

Ditto here in PA: No Plate req`d. in the Front of the Car: Mine has the Union Jack Flag that really sets off the Car & The Plate: What did Your Plate cost being made in England? I would imagine there are quite a few People on this Forum that would like to know Where to Order one of those!! I surely would!!

Thanx, Russ

swift6
03-17-2007, 07:08 PM
In Colorado, front plates are required. So I had a British style plate made up to match the alpha numeric sequence of my collector plate on the rear. So far it has passed muster.

https://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i36/sloseke/Triumph%20Stuff/P3100011.jpg

Aldwyn
03-17-2007, 09:06 PM
We're supposed to have a front plate here in Maryland, but I also have the Union Jack on the front of the car. The front plate is in the trunk just in case I get pulled over.

Maryland does allow antique plates to be used on cars, but they must be the year the car was made (Maryland was an ugly red on white that year), must have BOTH plates, and must have the current year's registered tags in the car at all times!

I have thought about it, but man the Maryland plates were ugly in 1976!

Twosheds
03-17-2007, 09:26 PM
We're supposed to have a front plate here in Maryland, but I also have the Union Jack on the front of the car.

My TR3 has no provision for mounting a front tag. At first I safety-wired a tag to the front bumper. "I just want to be in compliance." It looked stupid.

Then I thought, "What the heck?" and removed the front tag. Looks much better, and if I get caught, I'll just say, "O.K. officer, but where do I mount the tag, Hmmm?." Then I'll probably get tased for being a Smart-aleck.

So far, no problems.

When I first had the TR3, I got it inspected and ran regular tags. Why? It wasn't old enough for historic tags then!

LastDeadLast
03-17-2007, 09:33 PM
https://www.lastdeadlast.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_2006-08-27-Exterior%20004.jpg

Aldwyn
03-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Ouch! You are dating yourself, John!

But I dont think a TR3 would look right with a plate on it. European, yes... US plate? No. I'd keep the front plate in the trunk as well, if I had a TR3!

Shannon: Good one, man!

kodanja
03-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Here's my 73' GT6 in 1988

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/gt6squeeze001.jpg

toysrrus
03-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi Folks;

Here`s a Pic of My "Previous" Plate & One that "Was" typical for cars over 25yrs old: The New ones (Pic coming) seem to be more Attractive but Looks very similar to an Everyday Tag that You would find in PA:

I hope this comes out cause I`m not certain I know what I`m doing????????

Russ

"Did`nt Work"? What do I need to do??

Tullamore
03-18-2007, 06:28 PM
My TR250 says TR5:

https://www.fordmustang.us/gallery/d/12906-1/IMG_6199_001.jpg

Brosky
03-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Shannon, whenever I see that picture, I'm waiting to see the car leap into action with smoke pouring off each rear tire as he does a massive burn out, waving to all that he passes.

toysrrus
03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi gsalt or Anyone;

What did You do to get Your Plate on Here? What do I need to do to add an Attachment here??

Thanx, Russ

Re-Sized My Pic / Lets see what happens?

NutmegCT
03-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Russ - click Reply. Then at the bottom of the reply, click File Manager. That's where you can Browse to a file on your computer, then Add it to your post.

Be sure it's a small filesize (e.g. 35K or so). At least that's worked for me.

Tom

toysrrus
03-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Who would know what the Max Pixel Size can be?

Thanx, Russ

Hi There Nutmeg: That`s Exactly what I did but (Size)??

LastDeadLast
03-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Shannon, whenever I see that picture, I'm waiting to see the car leap into action with smoke pouring off each rear tire as he does a massive burn out, waving to all that he passes.

Evan, (My 1 year old child the picture) has often expressed interested in performing said burnout. He can't really talk yet, but I can just tell by the way he stands in the front seat and pulls back and forth on the steering wheel. Plus he's got those "crazy eyes", if that makes sense.

NutmegCT
03-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Russ - Tullamore's pic is 400x300 (27k). That might be a guideline. Filesize (bytes) is definitely the important go/no go factor.

If you're on a mac, use Preview to resize a pic: (File/Export/Options).

If you're using a pc, try PicResizer: www.picresizer.com (https://www.picresizer.com).

Don't know about you guys, but BCF is running like molasses for me now. Takes almost a full minute to load any page here.

Tom

toysrrus
03-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Hi Nutmeg;

I tried sizing My Pic to Just under 400x300 Pixels: Did`nt work? This is what comes up; File cannot be any larger than 250000, Something? Got to go; I`ll try later:

Thanx, Russ

Well; 326x216 Pixels did`nt work: It still says File cannot be larger than 250000?

toysrrus
04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Well; I do believe I got It??

Is My License Plate on Here??

Russ

PS: Well I`ll be ________!!!!!! It is Here!!! What do You Folks think of the "New Antique Plates in PA"??

mrv8q
04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Here's what a "factory"(?) front plate looks like on the '3... https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p52/mrv8q/IMG_0543.jpg
Good thing it came w/ the car....cops in L.A. love to give out tickets for missing front plates. Ask me how my wife and I know......

Banjo
04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
N.Y. requires 2 plates. I know a lot of folks without a front, but some have been hassled.
Our antique plates are the same, 25 years old. You can use plates from the year of manufacture, and the fee is about the same as vanity plates, but there are a lot of restrictions on driving. like only to shows or events and not after dark bla bla.. that's the main reason I don't want antique plates. I've got a pretty good stack of old plates in the garage from NY. SO it may be an option in the future, but not now.

AngliaGT
04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
The way I see it is that if a cop's looking
for a reason to pull you over - a lack of front
plate could be it.

- Doug

YankeeTR
04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
here's one...

toysrrus
04-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Hi There Yankee TR;

That`s a Great looking "Beemer" You have: Interesting License Plate! How many times have You been Pulled Over? What does "BLOND" represent?

Regards, Russ

YankeeTR
04-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi There Yankee TR;

That`s a Great looking "Beemer" You have: Interesting License Plate! How many times have You been Pulled Over? What does "BLOND" represent?

Regards, Russ
Not my car....someone sent this to me awhile back...

frankenstang57
04-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Got this on my wife's Focus;
https://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/frankenstang57/100_3537-1.jpg
It was on my first Spit and then on my Mustang. Someone else in Co. has the proper spelling to this day! We get crappy "collector" plates here. Best thing about them is they're good for 5 years and no E-test!

kodanja
04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
oboy
https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/ny_u_moron.jpg

Aldwyn
04-04-2007, 10:56 AM

It was on my first Spit and then on my Mustang. Someone else in Co. has the proper spelling to this day! We get crappy "collector" plates here. Best thing about them is they're good for 5 years and no E-test!

Are you trying to say your wife is evil, and eats her devotees? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

swift6
04-04-2007, 11:08 AM

Are you trying to say your wife is evil, and eats her devotees? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Or that people go insane when they look at her? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Or are you just a HUGE H.P. Lovecraft fan?

frankenstang57
04-05-2007, 08:12 AM
My wife wouldn't of made it too far if she drove everyone she comes into contact with insane... I just love the irony! Long story short, I grew up just outside of Detroit, the urban blight capital of the universe. I was also a gamer, into urban spelunking, mischief, etc. The primary site we frequented was supposed to have some "cult" of Satan worshipers lurking about. Since it was BS, we set up our own "cult" to Cthulhu, mocking both good and evil with HP's finest! Since we were pretty lit the first couple time we were there we mispelled "CTHULHU" as "CTHULU". So we kept it that way except for when we painted "spells" on the wall out of the Necronomicon. It was a whole lot of fun for about a year. The most @#$%#$ thing about it was when I showed up in Colorado and applied for the plate with the proper spelling it was allready taken and I had to use our signature mis-spelling... Not bad for a baby-hauler!:)

swift6
04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
My brother is big into 'Cthulhu' mythos from Lovecraft overload. He's a Linux/Unix SysAd at one of the high tech companies in Fort Collins and you would probably recognize the 'weird' names on most of his servers. Before you ask though he does not have that other license plate. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

kodanja
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
still a classic /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/DSC07743.jpg

Tomster
04-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Sorry I no longer have the photo of the midnight blue Porsche turbo carrera that used be here in Edmonton with the vanity pale
"STOLEN"
Recently saw a truck here with reverse lettering as a windshield shade that when read in a rear view mirror states:
"STEP ON IT"

frankenstang57
04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Before you ask though he does not have that other license plate. [/QUOTE]

Nah,last I heard it belonged to a guy in Golden and I believe it was on a Caddy of some sort...

DNK
04-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Sorry to bring this up again,Couldn't find my camera.
https://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/donkelly23/ZEATR.jpg

Aldwyn
04-09-2007, 08:16 PM
DNK, that's a 70's plate... retired in 77... I could put that on my 76 TR6 legally here in Maryland since it was a tag of issue the year my car was made!

Brosky
04-09-2007, 08:44 PM
And for those of us who were too late for the classic plate;

DNK
04-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Aldwyn- Still have both of them!
Ran them on a 73 Capri that was downright scary and fun!!

toysrrus
04-10-2007, 05:03 AM
Hi There Brosky;

Nice Looking "TRSIXX" Plate! What did that Cost You in RI? Do You have to get Your Car Inspected with this Plate?

Here in PA, If you have a "Personalized License Plate", You have to go thru All the Motions (Nice to know someone that does Inspections for You): Then You can by-pass a bunch of the B______S_______!!

Hey Folks; Keep the Plates coming as they are All Very Interesting and Exciting to hear some Background/History on them: For You "International" followers; Please Post Your Plate Here & under "International License Plate Mania"!

Thanx & Regards;

Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Brosky
04-10-2007, 05:40 AM
It costs $60.00 per year, but with that has no restrictions. The antique plates limit driving, but are cheaper. Still needs bi-yearly inspection, but not near as intense as PA inspection. I know because I used to have a PA inspection license.

aeronca65t
04-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Not a tag on one of my cars, but my mini-sidecar /"hack"/pit-bike has an Isle of Man replica tag. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

I have a replica Irish plate (County Cavan, where I am really from) that I sometimes put on the race car. The numbers on it are the "N" numbers from my plane.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/EMRA_07/pit_bike_isle_man.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/EMRA_07/pit_bike_isle-man.jpg

Brosky
04-10-2007, 07:51 PM
The next time that my wife says I have too many toys or too much time on my hands, I'm pointing her to your post.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

toysrrus
04-12-2007, 07:10 AM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Well Folks; I`m going to give It the Old College Try on getting My "Old PA License Plate" on here as an Attachment: I just went down to 800 x 600 Pixels:

Here We Go;

Well I`ll be D______!!! It worked!

Russ
PS: Which one do you folks prefer; The "Purple One" or the "Current One"??

bcliff
04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Here is one of the plates I run on my 34 Model Y Ford.
When you lost a license plate, you would be issued one of these. I guess that they wanted to point out the fact that when it came to attaching a licence plat you were inompetent.
Probably wasn't PC to put "dumb guy" on the plate.
People ask me if it applies to the driver. I just politely tell them that "all who wander are not lost".
https://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/bcliff55/Lost.jpg

toysrrus
04-16-2007, 05:42 AM
Hi There bcliff;

Nice, Interesting looking Plate You have there: Here in PA should You "Lose" your plate; You simply have to "Re-Apply" for a New Registration, Plate etc: You probably would Not be able to get back the same Plate No. as You previously had; Especially if it were a "Personalised Plate": The Cost would be the same as If getting a New Plate (Which in fact You are); I believe around $75.00 for Everything!

bcliff; I`m a License Plate collector of sorts: What would happen If You Lost Your "Lost" Plate (Say in PA somewhere; Somewhere like My Home):

Thanking Yourself in Advance;

Russ