PDA

View Full Version : Whose great idea was that?....a big pain

03-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Whose idea was it to spin the oil pump backwards with an electric drill? Needless to say, it works. But have you ever tried to stab the end of and oil pump bladed shaft while it's drowning in oil. That little gear driver does not want to slide into place over the shaft. Took me 1.5 hours to finally align them enough that they would go. It is now almost midnight and I cannot go anymore.

Till tomorrow.

DrEntropy
03-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Stop now, it'll be there t'morrow.

...I never suggested a bas-ackwards drill, BTW.

Brosky
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]...I never suggested a bas-ackwards drill, BTW. [/QUOTE]

Never take the blame if it fails and always grab the credit if it works.

Works for politicians all day long.....

03-16-2007, 05:25 AM
No, No, don't get me wrong, it works. By backwards, I was referring to counterclockwise. In the direction that the pump works. Now, you won't get your oil pressure gauge to jump up to full load, you will see it pulsate. Oil filled the area of the pump shaft (like it should) and made it impossible to see the end of the shaft. Took a lot of effort to clear this so as to be able to turn it to fit the dizzy.

DrEntropy
03-16-2007, 06:19 AM
And what I meant was I don't feel there was any reason to spin the pump at all. Pressure will build quickly enough on engine start as long as the pump was oil'd up on install.

gjh2007
03-16-2007, 06:56 AM
I would say leave the coil wire off & spin the motor over with the starter a couple of times. At least that way it's not going to start & will only spin at a couple hunred RPM.