PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Clutch Slave Cylinder Adjustment

RedTR3
03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
I am installing my new 1" bore clutch slave cylinder tonight. I've never done this before.

I know that I have to start the pushrod adjustment by turning the pushrod until there is no end float and then putting about 0.1" float back in by manipulating the locknuts.

My question is: Is it easy to know when the pushrod is adjusted all the way in, that is, with no float? Seems like it might not be easy to know since there is a spring inside the cylinder - but like I said I've never done this before.

MGTF1250Dave
03-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Aloha,

Before bolting into the car, make sure the piston is seated at the bottom of the bore in cylinder. The seal will usually hold the piston in place. If it is already in the car, open the bleeder and force the piston to the bottom with the push rod or a suitable tool. (The bleeder should be above the flex hose connect on the cylinder. It maybe impossible to remove any air if it not in this configuration.) Move the clutch operating shaft to a point where you can feel the throw out (release) bearing make contact with the clutch. Now adjust the length of the push rod so that it is nearly in contact with the piston. You want the throw out bearing close to the clutch but not in contact, so if you can move the push rod back and forth with ease to get about 1/8" of play. Once the lock nuts are in place you can attach the clevis pin and then the return spring. Good luck.

RedTR3
03-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks Dave, I understand what you are describing here.

But it seems that on my new cylinder there is a spring inside the cylinder that keeps moving the piston "out"; the seal in the cylinder does not hold it down stationary as you described. That's why I'm not sure how to bottom the pushrod out because the internal piston spring keeps forcing it out.

MGTF1250Dave
03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Aloha Red,

OK, in that case I would make a visible mark on the push rod so you can tell when the piston seated. This is assuming that the external return spring will keep the piston seated when it is connected. In my experience this has been the case.