PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Oil Sump Gasket Question

TRclassic3
03-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm in the process of replacing the sump pan gasket and am curious what the purpose is of the indentations in pan lip between the bolts. Should I fill them up with gasket sealant, or simply go around them. Thanks in advance for advice to a rookie.

Tinkerman
03-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Ed:

I just put my oil sump on and I put the gasket sealer on the gasket, laid the gasket on the block, more sealer and then the oil sump. Thats the way I have always done oil pan gaskets and never had a leak. Course this is the first LBC I that I have done, a 3A by the way. I still don't know why the indentations maybe some one can clue us both in.

Good Luck and have fun with your project and welcome to the forum.
Tinkerman

03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Those indentations are stiffeners to help keep the otherwise thin-gauge pan from distorting when the bolts are torqued.
And I know you didn't ask, but I always prefer Permatex Aviation Sealant (thick, brown, liquidy goop). Let it tack about 1/2 hour before (apply to gasket only, freely) sticking it together. Won't leak.

RonMacPherson
03-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Reinforcement on what you were told, the indentations are reinforcements to strengthen the metal. As for sealant. My favorite is a good silicone fluid resistant called "The Right Stuff". Designed to replace gaskets. So just use something like Gaskacinch or the Permatex brown to hold the gasket in place. But if you ever have to replace a gasket with sealant buy the Right Stuff. Sealed many a trans together and MB timing cover seal that did NOT leak with the Right Stuff. Not cheap, but worth every penny.