PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Leaky TR6

SCguy
03-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Every time I wash my TR6 I find a small puddle of water on my rubber floor mats. I've tried to track down the source of these leaks (both sides). I've been under my dash more times than I wish to mention. I know your TR6s probably leak as well. Who has found the source(s) of these leaks, where were they and how did you seal them?

tdskip
03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
How is your windshield rubber? Door seals?

trboost
03-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey Larry,

Other than the rubber seal at the base of the windshield, the only other place is through the scuttle vent. Once in the scuttle vent the water drops into the plenum and usually drains in to two tubes, each one in the further most corners close to the "A" post. The tube leads to a hose that drops down in the front rocker panel. These corner tubes frequently rust out because debris collects & clogs them allowing water & gunk to collect. The rubber hose also rots & drops away from the tube. Many have run the tube forward to exit out the wheel arch or ran a tube all the way down and out the rocker panel.

A close inspection will expose the problem. This has been the cause of many a floor panel being replaced.

SCguy
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM
New rubber seals. I'll have to check to make sure the hoses were installed. I don't think I've ever looked.

roofman
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Not to sure if you can see/access them without fender removal.

DNK
03-07-2007, 05:53 PM
You can see the hose if you remove the side carpet.

TR674
03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
trboost is spot on. I have the same problem. Only after a wash were ther puddles of water on the floor mats. If you can reach up under the dash and feel around in the extreme upper corners, you may find a few rest spots were water has been sitting. I made a solid cover which fits under the grille but is raised by rubber tubing. This still allows air to enter but water to stay out. I'll take some pics on the weekend and post them here so you can see a possible solution to stop further water damage.
Regards
Craig

SCguy
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Checked my hoses. Everything is new and installed properly. Can't find that leak!

03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Larry, mine does the same thing. That is why we have rubber floor mats.

Lay on your back with a strong flashlight and have your neighbor run a water hose all over the front of the car. Of course you will look nuts but you will eventually find that drip. Probably coming from the firewall somewhere.

All Triumphs leak. They are supposed to. If someone says theirs doesn't leak, they just haven't seen it yet.

SCguy
03-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Finally the truth!!!

Thanks Bill!

DNK
03-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Checked my hoses. Everything is new and installed properly. Can't find that leak!

Wish I could say that, personally